New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanic has some nice tutorials on their website. The pre-dive tutorial clearly shows and discusses the 3 presets and custom GFs. Interestingly progressive presets, I have been diving 80/95 on my Teric since May 2019, after practicing several years with a Dive Rite Nitek Q

I don't know how likely air integration is. Being Oceanic, I might expect a PPS MH8A or compatible transmitter. Apple would have to install an antenna and any other hardware needed, Oceanic is very experienced in this and would supply the software as part of their app.

I like my SurfGF too :)

Overall, I'm encouraged that development and innovation is occurring in dive computers. One of my two computers is a little over 12 years old with 1806 dives and 1903 hours on it. It will die and need to be replaced someday, I'm looking forward to having options.

You gotta be kidding. Apple have a big enough channel such that not having the 12 or 15 remaining dive shops in the US won't impact sales performance. Their target market is NOT divers. Only us on SB are debating this. No one is buying this primarily as a dive computer. But those who buy them will have an easier path to trying SCUBA.

Someone mentioned previously that they wouldn't buy this because it did not display GF99. I would guess that over 99.9999% of future purchasers have no idea what means nor should have to care.
This 👆

Subscriptions are interesting. As a consumer I hate them, as a developer I also get/understand them. Ideally anything that has ongoing costs isn't part of the core app and there is a super stripped down version that is one time cost with no subscriptions. You want feature X, which has a recurring cost to the developer to keep alive, then pay up on a subscription. New major feature is introduced, new version of the app that is a separate purchase (if not using a subscription), maybe do 2 year chunks. Bugs of course should be fixed regardless, but otherwise think its entirely reasonable that without a subscription you are "feature locked" to what was there when you purchased.
I have to agree with this. A yearly subscription like REVER or Gaia GPS is understandable as long as it’s 20-30 dollars. Going the route of 15-20 a month like Audible and Sirius would be a huge mistake.

Looks "made for vegans" :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

1662646285225.png

I think it will be a interesting ride... Like some say it will push other major players. APP developers will jump on this and possibilities are upon us.

My guess is we will see major dedicated dive computer companies all have an app (subscription or not), why would they not jump on another revenue stream in such a small niche and opening there dedicated line to new divers. (ex Shearwater develops a light diving app, AI or not that syncs to there iPhone app.) You want "pro" "dedicated" technical diving, you buy what we all know.

I also see someone making the radios in the watch possibly working to get AI working on multiple device(s) tank transmitters.. or developing new hardware for your tank that will work.

Being a developer im already digging in the SDK and researching radio signals, access to all the sensors is already there... lol

The closer Developers get it to an Actual Dive computer, getting greater depth and control from Apple will happen in versions to come.

My Teric certainly remains my main Dive computer but the future is open.

but Apple typically disrupts industries.
Yes they do. The original iPhone drove a nail in the coffin of the compact camera market. Those little personal camcorders that were on the market for around $150? The original Palm Pilot personal digital assistant?

That said, Apple has a historic focus on taking something pre-existing (e.g.: computer, phone, watch) and taking it to the next level, creating an excellent evolution of that product. But they don't aim for the degree of product diversification that Microsoft does. If you look at the at times shameful lengths between some Mac computer line upgrades in the past (e.g.: Mac Mini in the past, Mac Pro now), they aren't known for staying at the cutting edge where niche products are concerned. Look at the historical evolution of the Apple T.V.

So I don't think Apple will take much interest in the dive computer market. That'll be a tiny sideshow in one model of their watch line. And the people crafting the supporting software (e.g.: Oceanic) won't have control over the hardware.

The more I think about this, the more I don't think it's going to disrupt the dive computer industry/market in more than a fairly minor way, at least with this generation.

2 Or 3 years from now, that may change.

I had (have?) high hopes for this Ultra watch. I just discovered on Oceanic's forum that the Oceanic app is subscription-only. To me, it looks like Oceanic shot itself in the foot before the watch even came out. I'd much rather pay one-time a reasonable price than to go down that micro-transaction hell of a rabbit hole. This is really unfortunate.
Yeah, I hear you. I'd definitely prefer a one-time unlimited fee for it. But that's mainly because I dive pretty much year round. However, for the divers who only dive on vacation this might not be a bad idea. The price of the watch alone is not bad compared to a Series 8. A Series 8 with cellular and GPS starts at $499, while a stainless cased 8 is around $749. For $50 more you get a titanium case, larger and brighter screen, and twice the battery life. Not bad.

Now a diver like many of us on the board would also need to add in $80/year to keep the full dive functions active year round. That would start to add up. However, for the vacation diver, $10/month just when they need it is not bad, assuming they are, or plan to be, an Apple Watch user.
Who other than Apple, now allows you to both decompress, and to determine whether you may be ovulating?
IIRC, Garmin does as well. I don't recall where exactly as mine is set up for a male, but I seem to recall something on female specific tracking on my wife's Garmin. Might just be cycle tracking, not ovulation,

Well, what's stopping Suunto creating an app for it? Or Aqualung? It's potentially a multi-model, multi-OS dive computer!

Well, what's stopping Suunto creating an app for it? Or Aqualung? It's potentially a multi-model, multi-OS dive computer!
It'll be a cold day in hell before apple allows another OS on its mobile products.

Looks "made for vegans" :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

View attachment 742460
Point 1 valid
Point 2 any bit of programming can be classed as an app, therefore every dive computer is an app
Point 3 - purely your opinion and neither residents of the Duchy nor Florida have been renowned as being at the fore front of style and come to think of it neither have rugby players 😀
Point 4 valid
Point 6 agreed but would be a good back up

You have however completely ignored the interface and graphics, which in my opinion look awesome and very intuitive. If the way info is shown on screen is as good in real life as the vids make out it could be a real game changer and drive positive innovation in other computers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom