New Bare SB System Drysuit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I echo hoopa and jbhouse2's comments. In fact I dive Monterey in the same conditions, and went full SB - two layers of undergarments and the suit. Options - neoprene neck seal, sci-tech quick clamp gloves and rock boots with soft socks.

I've only dove one other drysuit and that was just 4 dives, so not much of a frame of reference. But I feel more comfortable in and out of the water in this suit than a 7mm wetsuit or the other drysuit. I don't do 90min dives, so the lack of a pee valve hasn't been a big deal. Don't really need a pocket either.

A few things I've noticed -

- the hyped SB "system" that is supposed to wick away moisture from the undergarments really does seem to work amazingly well. On a warm day or active dive, I'll notice that my undergarments are dry but there's a dampness inside the suit itself. Which I don't mind. For multi-day diving, I turn the suit inside out to dry off a bit. And the undergarments are good to go.

- there's a neoprene flap under the inflation valve that can get caught in the neck seal when donning the suit. This happened once. I noticed moisture coming in through that valve. Not a leak, but more moisture, without that flap in place.

- I'm not using the surgical tubing that came with the gloves to allow air to pass from suit to glove. I did that for a while but they were kind of a pain to deal with. Took someone's advice from this board and bring the thumbstrap through from the undergarments to let a little air flow.

I bought the suit from John at Carmel Bay Divers in San Jose (I think hoopa originally recommended him to me). He did a great job of sizing me. Buying local for a significant purchase like this was the right call. During a pool test he remarked that I looked more flexible than in a wetsuit.

I understand from Bare that the SB cannot be fit with a SiTech neck-tite system at the factory. This is caused by the same issue as the pockets. I don't really understand why this is, as Bare can fit on the SiTech cuff rings.

Has anyone come up with an aftermarket way of retrofitting a neck-tite to the SB?

Any comments about the T-Zip? Think it will last?

---------- Post added ----------

Santi have just released their E Motion light thin sl stretchy suit. great features.

Any comments about the T-Zip? Think it will last?

---------- Post added ----------

Santi have just released their E Motion light thin sl stretchy suit. great features.

Just looked at the E-Motion suit on Santi's website. Funny, no mention of the 260D polyester being 'stretchy'...
Looks like alot of other trilam drysuits....

BTW, they also use T-Zip...

I understand from Bare that the SB cannot be fit with a SiTech neck-tite system at the factory. This is caused by the same issue as the pockets. I don't really understand why this is, as Bare can fit on the SiTech cuff rings.

Has anyone come up with an aftermarket way of retrofitting a neck-tite to the SB?

Send it up here :) We can beta test on your suit. Shouldn't be any issue at all installing it.

I dive occasionally with someone who had one of the first SB drysuits. As for fit, feel, and performance, he absolutely LOVED the suit. He's an instructor born and raised in drysuits and it's the best feeling drysuit he had ever worn. Only one problem: It develops leaks. He has been through two SB suits, as Bare replaced his first one. And the second one also developed leaks. He has sent it back and reordered a different model suit. The material is NOT sound. Bare has not yet got it 100% right. But they are close.

I dive occasionally with someone who had one of the first SB drysuits. As for fit, feel, and performance, he absolutely LOVED the suit. He's an instructor born and raised in drysuits and it's the best feeling drysuit he had ever worn. Only one problem: It develops leaks. He has been through two SB suits, as Bare replaced his first one. And the second one also developed leaks. He has sent it back and reordered a different model suit. The material is NOT sound. Bare has not yet got it 100% right. But they are close.

Well here is my story of MY Bare SB experience. My first suit had two issues, One it was not sized right and it suffered de lamintation in the crotch area. Bare built me another suit and it was the same size as the first. the problem with the second suit was that being not the right size eventually the zipper tore at the top when I was trying to put it on. This time the Bare rep came down and looked at me donning the suit which he noticed the size issues. he measured me again and we ordered a XXL regular and they took some length out of the legs cause I am short in the legs. I have had this 3rd suit for I would say about 15-20 dives and I am now having more leaks issues in the crotch area. I have heard the dive shop mention that it might have to do with me when I am climbing in and out of the back of my truck. I can only say one thing IT IS A STRETCHABLE material right? The thing I noticed is around the seams near the front crotch area, the material looks like it has issues of coming apart. hard to explain but it looks like the material has pulled away next to the seam. I had seen this same issue on my first that had leaked as well. bad part is I have to send it back and they will test it and probably find the same issue and then it will take 1 month to get them to make another suit. I am seriously thinking about negotiating with Bare to get a different suit.

I have 5 dives in my new SB suit.
A couple of observations...I first saw the suit at the Long Beach Scuba show, the fabric seemed a little thin. When I got my suit(6/12), the first thingI noticed was it is quite a bit thicker than the one at the show.
The magic underwear & the suit works great. I did opt for a lavacore full suit vs. their polartec mid layer. Got the weighting down & the suit dialed in . Its been a long time that I actually look forward to diving in cold water.
The suit moves like a wet suit.It is alot more responsive than those "Robbie Robot" dry suits....

I have 5 dives in my new SB suit.
A couple of observations...I first saw the suit at the Long Beach Scuba show, the fabric seemed a little thin. When I got my suit(6/12), the first thingI noticed was it is quite a bit thicker than the one at the show.
The magic underwear & the suit works great. I did opt for a lavacore full suit vs. their polartec mid layer. Got the weighting down & the suit dialed in . Its been a long time that I actually look forward to diving in cold water.
The suit moves like a wet suit.It is alot more responsive than those "Robbie Robot" dry suits....

Atleast you guys have yours. I ordered/paid in full for my BARE SB suit on May 24th of this year. Still don't have it. The dive shop I ordered it through followed up with BARE again this week. My suit is still not completed. The BARE dry gloves are backordered in my size ?? I've lost two months of local diving opportunities - probably going to miss all of August as well.

How long did it take you guys to receive your suits from BARE ??

Atleast you guys have yours. I ordered/paid in full for my BARE SB suit on May 24th of this year. Still don't have it. The dive shop I ordered it through followed up with BARE again this week. My suit is still not completed. The BARE dry gloves are backordered in my size ?? I've lost two months of local diving opportunities - probably going to miss all of August as well.

How long did it take you guys to receive your suits from BARE ??

Ya, I would not be happy either. Bare seams to be dropping the ball lately from what I have been hearing and reading. The dry gloves are back ordered in your size? Just tell them to send the suit without them and refund you the $80 they charge for Atlas gloves and order the same pair from SeaMar for $25 with shipping(gloves Atlas 495 $15 shipping $10). I don't know what Bare is doing with this suit, when it first came out they said there is no way to put a P-valve in it. Bare managed to figure out how to put the inflate and dump valves on it, the SI-tech P-valve uses a flange just like the valves already on the suit. One diver at my local shop does not fit into a stock SB size and would need the legs longer, he was told there is no way to do any custom sizing on the SB, He ended up purchasing a custom Trilam HD. When I sent my Nex-Gen in for a zipper replacement I was told there is no way to install a P-valve in this suit due to no adhesives will stick to the suit, what the heck do they use to hold the seals on with? I installed a Halcyon valve two years ago and no issues to date. All this is really sad because I feel Bare makes an excellent suit at a reasonable price, and this is what working class stiffs like me need. On the other hand, Bare took care of me on two zipper replacements on my Nex-Gen(the suit was out of warranty on both accounts) but the last replacement was over a year ago and in the past year I have not heard much good about there customer service:depressed:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom