New benchmark for LED lights: VB-50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael;

How will warranty (if needed) work for your lights? Will Golem Gear be able to make simple repairs or will the light have to ship back to you?

Do you have a light output vs. time graph for the VB-50?

Do you have any in-water reports for this light yet - I know I may be jumping the gun?

I'm really liking this light - as per specs and pictures. You're showing what is to come in LED lighting down the road and so far it's looking great :)

Henrik

Henrik,

GolemGear will be able to make repairs. GolemGear will have the spare parts for this.
Latest in March we have a graph light output vs. time
In the same time we plan a test with uw pictures in GB.
We will publish all techn. details and values of this light.
I know which potential has this light and this technology:):)

Michael

Yes, we will take care of all repair, replacements on this side of the pond.

The X-1 lights are available here.
Golem Gear, Inc. - MBSub Fixed Focus (FF) or Variable Beam (VB) backup LED lights

Also a a small YouTube video showing the X1 variable beam is here.
YouTube - MBSub X1 Light

It shows the MBSub Variable Beam X1 backup light.
The narrow (3 degrees) light beam cuts through a 50W HID video light. Very powerful.
Last few seconds show the beam defocused to 45 degrees.
This is a perfect backup light, also great for signalization even in open water.

Hi Micheal, more questions:

- will the VB-50 come with a travel case to pack the canister, light head, charger etc?

- how is the canister sealed? O-ring on lid? How about the battery compartment, is it sealed separately?

- How about charging? Do you pull the battery out to connect to the charger?

I looked through your site and didn't find answers, so sorry if I missed it.

Henrik

Hi Henrik,

for the moment i will not have a case for the canister system, because i have no time for this.

The canister is sealed by o-ring on the lid. Because the canister is not for opening, the battery must not be sealed separately.
The battery will be charged through the connecting cable to the LED-head at this position where you can screw and unscrew the head.

Michael

Thanks for the info Michael.

I realize that time is at a premium, but you might want to consider cases for your can lights. Just because most other can lights come with a case, and when shopping I have to consider another ~$100 for a pelican case for the light.

Henrik

Thanks for the info Michael.

I realize that time is at a premium, but you might want to consider cases for your can lights. Just because most other can lights come with a case, and when shopping I have to consider another ~$100 for a pelican case for the light.

Henrik

You can not believe that such a case will be free here:no:
Pelican case are really expensive in Europe

Michael

You can not believe that such a case will be free here:no:

No worries Michael - I'm not completely delusional.

However bought in bulk the price per case will no doubt be different than what I pay for just one at my LDS.

Also, add that ~$100 to the ~$1200 MSRP of the VB-50 and there's suddenly a considerable price gap down to a canister LED light with comparable light output.

For what it's worth,

Henrik

Also, add that ~$100 to the ~$1200 MSRP of the VB-50 and there's suddenly a considerable price gap down to a canister LED light with comparable light output.

For what it's worth,

Henrik

You are right, there is a big price gap. But then oranges will always cost more than apples (I was going to say lemons but some one may take offence).

IMHO the best thing about the MB Sub is its focus ability. I dont know of any other LED can light that achieves this with the same stunning results the MB Sub does.

From what I have seen most other LED based light heads suck. The beam is too wide and dispersed. IMHO the use of aspheric lenses for LED dive lights is the way to go and MB Subs focusing ability is fantastic.
If I was to buy a can light the MB Sub would be top of my list.

But then oranges will always cost more than apples

that'd depend on the time of year ... no :wink:

I know what you mean and agree that the MB Sub light has a nice set of features in a seemingly nice package. And given they're first to market with features like it they can of course charge a premium for their product.

That said, I'm currently shopping for 3 can lights for our team, and price certainly is a consideration.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom