New BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TartanFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just got a new BPW. My local dive shop let me try a DiveRite TransPac and Voyager wing on a recent dive trip to Ft Lauderdale. As it turned out, the loaner harness was too small.

So while there I made a trip over to Dive Gear Express to get a new reel and some hi visibility line for my other reels. I also had the staff fit me for a transplate harness and wing while I was there.

I usually use some weight in top tank band trim pockets, so I am curious to see how the extra weight of the steel backplate will affect that. I am assuming I will not need the trim weight at all. I can't wait to get into the water and get trimmed out.

I'm glad your happy with the BPW so far,Ii think one you dive it you'll love the trim charectoristics of the settup. personally when I made the change to a BPW I loved that i was able to lose the trim pockets on the cam bands anymore.
one a side note though.... I'm glad to hear that your LDS was willing to loan you some differnt rigs to try out for yourself, sounds like a very good shop to be working with!

My singles rig is a modified transplate, modified only because I don't like cam bands, changed to Scubapro straps, I made a small web strap bolted to the plate to hang the plate on the tank, makes it easier to hook and tighten the Scubapro straps. I added a single tank adapter from Diverite on the plate, added weight pouches, and trim pockets on the top band. It dives like a dream, and is perfectly set for me with the Rec EXP wing. Just remember, better equipment is no replacement for skills practice. My doubles rig is a modified hog harness(added a sternum strap)

I have been diving a back inflate BCD since I started diving. I originally chose the back inflate because I did not like the way jacket BCDs fit me and they also tend to ride up on me. And I was was not quite ready for a BPW. I agree, it was really good the dive shop let me try out the BPW.

I see myself eventually ending up with multiple setups. One of the biggest advantages of the BPW style, in my opinion, is the total flexibility of the design. I can go as minimal as I want or hang more junk off the BCD than I could ever want or need. My goal is to train for and visit some of the deeper wreck sites so I see multiple BPW with various configurations in my future!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom