New Cavern Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$1000 primary and backup dive computers, backup drysuit, backup can light, gopro3 black, video lights, scooter, travel tanks, stage tanks, deco tanks, all with regs and gauges, and once all that's in hand then it's time to switch to sidemount.

I was following right along shaking my head in agreement until I spit all over the computer screen spewing laughter with the "switching to side sidemount" comment:D:D Here, here...I resemble all those comments!!

Congratulations on Cavern! Standing at the door! Cavern felt to me like the "Discover Scuba" of cave diving, and it hooked me. My instructor took me in for a 'peek' after I finished Cavern, under the (as far as I know unwritten) rule that your instructor can take you one level beyond your training. He was kind of like a heroin dealer, giving a free taste; once I saw the gallery at Ginnie I was hooked -- amazed that such a place existed and that I was there. Took my first cave class the next month.

And a whole new set of gear to buy!

LoL! If memory serves me we didn't get all that far before you hit thirds. :) Haha!!!

---------- Post added January 12th, 2013 at 05:21 AM ----------

I was following right along shaking my head in agreement until I spit all over the computer screen spewing laughter with the "switching to side sidemount" comment:D:D Here, here...I resemble all those comments!!

Or you can skip the whole backmount thing entirely and go straight to sidemount. :) I am not at all partial to sidemount.

After diving since 1988 and saying time and time again.....I'd never stick my nose in a cave......well after instructional cavern dives the end of last week and weekend in Peacock 1, Orange Grove, The Eye and one incredible dive ending up in the alcove in The Ear.....I am now a newly minted, card carrying, Cavern Diver. Lots to learn but a lot of time to do it. I now know just exactly why people stick their noses in caves:D And I even ended up with Florida fingers (OK, only one) from pulling down into The Ear:cool2:

No pics this time:no:, too busy task loading.

Congrats!

If you swing up to Missouri, we have two great caverns to dive in at Bennet Springs and Roubidoux. Ping me if you need a dive buddy. :)

Bjorn

Ha, hey USF I'm thinking you just got called out:)

With that said, I'm certain I'll be on thirds reaching pothole sink at Peacock!! All kidding aside, I have always considered myself to be a pretty solid buoyancy diver but after diving with you cavers, I don't hold a candle...the level of safety, the attention to detail...good stuff gang!! You will see me in the caves, I'm here to have some fun but this is some serious stuff and I need a lot more training. Man, from what I have seen already, the underwater cave world is incredible!!!!!!

---------- Post added January 12th, 2013 at 11:17 PM ----------

Congrats!

If you swing up to Missouri, we have two great caverns to dive in at Bennet Springs and Roubidoux. Ping me if you need a dive buddy. :)

Bjorn

Will do. Being a CPA my diving opportunities are few and far between now and April 15th but your offer is duly noted:) Thanks!!

Last edited:
Made it almost through the lips before hitting 1/6ths on my single AL80. Did Cavern in my OW gear. TracyN had my rear.

Congrats! I am two weeks away from gaining my Cavern cert.

Good stuff Blu, I got my temp card on Saturday, a license to learn:) USF, good to have TracyN as your "rear", I notice TracyN is "finally full cave certified", good stuff as well.

Tomorrow evening I'm meeting up with the other two guys I went through cavern. We're going to have a debrief, go over some things in the manual and planning out drills for pool work on Thursday. Looks like these doubles are going to regularly be on my back!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom