New Certified Diver looking for equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would ask around in Wreck Valley for another LDS that is close to you and see what they have to offer equipment wise. Find equipment that your comfortable with and do a couple dives in it before buying. I bought my main equip from my LDS basically for servicing issues and warranties. Plus they prices weren't to far off from an online shop. Also would depend on the name brands your buying. Not sure where you live, but Dutch Springs in PA is a nice quarry to check equipment out in, and alot of the members here dive there including myself.

Thanks rhyz I will make a post in the wreck valley section. What is the water temp at Dutch Springs? I was going to do my checkout dives there until I was told I would have to wear a 7mm or dry suit. I am only looking to dive in areas where I would have to wear a max 5mm.

I beleive there are 3 thermoclines at Dutch. Temps range from 78ish at the surface to around 48ish degrees at 81ffs, not sure of the max depth. I wear a 7mm 2 piece if I got below 50 other wise I wear my 3mm.

DirtyDeeds...don't know what portion of NY/NJ you're from, but I was diving in the Long Island Sound a couple of weeks ago. Water temp at the surface was 75. It was a planned shallow dive, 20 FSW, and I did both dives in 3 mil I bought for the Cayman Islands in Feb.

I will look around for local trip where the dives will be shallow.

Just came back from a LDS that I just found out about. They sell Aqualung/Scubapro/Suunto. They told me that the reason they sell these brands is because the warranty and equipiment replacement is superior then to other brands such as Oceanic and Zeagle. Does anyone know if this is true? The products are good quality but much more expensive than the deal I can get from Scubatoys which is also good quality(Zeagle and Oceanic..). They will let me try out there equipment in their pool to see how I like it and get famliar with it. Do I pay the extra money for the convenience of being able to drive to the store if any problems come up and using their pool to test out the equipment to become familiar with it before I use it?

Thanks
DirtyDeeds

Well, Oceanic has a great reputation from these boards, in fact there is a rep on the boards that is very helpful also. Oceanic has lifetime warrenty i think on products so long as you get it serviced at its regular intervals.

As for superior quality, it seems Oceanic have some of the best computers around and as for Zeagle, well their regs are top notch also - Scubapro are excellent from the reviews I've read, thou they are very popular, and more expensive.

Suunto computers (if you read the Computers section) have a few complaints, and are extra conservative, so you get less bottom time. Oceanic are more liberal, and if you want to be conservative you can just build that in (i.e - Don't wait for red, go up on yellow).

Thanks that is what I read about the Suunto computers. I do not think I can go wrong with either brands Aqualung/Scubapro. It really boils down to paying the extra money for the convenience of bringing it to a local LDS when you have a problem or for serviceing. Also I will be able to try out any equipment before I buy it which is also good.

Back
Top Bottom