New Dive Charter: Palm Beach Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool that they allow spearing. I assume those tiny stringers are for sending fish up on a float. When it is rough and people are scattered, smb's with fish can drift away and be lost, so maybe the diver decided to keep the fish with him. However, carrying a fish on a stringer is not something I would encourage in that area, a bag draws less attention, I think. Also, I don't think it is legal to spear "that fish" where they said they were diving. LOL :coffee:

.. "that fish" ..
Those are mutton snappers. You can see the black dot on them. We don't get "that fish" in WPB, it's too far south.

BTW: The thread title made me think you were starting a Palm Beach diving specific thread. Maybe update the title to New Charter: Palm Beach Scuba, or something like that.

I hope $125 isn't a new pricing trend. I'm still adjusting to $100-$105 after paying $75-$85 for so many years.
Prices for fuel, insurance, dock space and just about everything else, $125 will be the new norm.
Who is running the op?

Prices for fuel, insurance, dock space and just about everything else, $125 will be the new norm.
Who is running the op?
The 5 ops I generally use in Boynton, Palm Beach, and Jupiter currently charge $85-110 for 2 tanker. If you live in SE FL and/or have the chance to dive frequently, the monthly rate of $295 would pay dividends at >3 dives/mo.

I look forward to seeing reviews of Palm Beach Scuba

BTW: The thread title made me think you were starting a Palm Beach diving specific thread. Maybe update the title to New Charter: Palm Beach Scuba, or something like that.

One of those already exists. I started it last year. :wink:

You're right. Can't shoot pomano or permit in florida waters. Need to be 3 miles out to shoot them. 3 miles out of Palm Beach puts you in 400+ feet of water. Hard to believe the boat went out past the deep ledge so this guy could shoot that fish. Likely illegal.

Looks like a new dive boat has come to town. They're docked in the same marina as Walkers and a few others.

I was going to check them out next month during my next trip but not I went to their website to check out the schedule and the policies and there it was:

"4 divers minimum".

So here we have a new charter that is less likely to fill up their boat because they don't have an established clientele, why would I book with them when I can go with another charter in the same marina who is less likely to cancel due to lack of divers? Also the only rental tanks available are AL80s.

The whole "we won't run if we can't make a profit" policy of many charters is questionable to me. I fly from out of state as do many others, so we can dive our favorite spots. Here we are paying for airfare, usually lodging as well, missing several days or more of work, possibly traveling the better part of a day in each direction, only to be told the afternoon prior to a dive "sorry we won't make any money we're canceling you're out of luck".

Can you imagine if airlines worked this way? Sometimes you gotta take a hit on the profits in exchange for good customer service especially when you're the new guy in town. And in West Palm Beach most of the reefs and wrecks are right outside the inlet so even the gas isn't all that much. I'd think a new charter would make adjustments especially when it's a short run to the dive sites.

Anyway Walkers is looking good for me once again. They haven't disappointed me yet. They're also $25 cheaper for a two tank dive. And they have steel 100s.
I saw the boat a few weeks ago. It looks nice. I likely wont dive them unless they offer something Narcosis or Walker's does not. I like the monthly subscription idea. I'll see what the reviews say in a few months. I wouldn't be surprised if the subscription was only for weekdays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom