New diver! ..anyone dive in the aquarium in Denver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kathleen Sea Hare

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm new to diving and planning to do a dive in 22ft deep aquarium in Denver! Since I live in a state where I am at sea level is there anything I should know about diving at a higher elevation? I read about a standard 3 minute safety stop. Will dive about 24 hours after I arrive in Denver and the dive is about 45 minutes. If anyone has any feedback on their experience in elevation or the Denver Aquarium and what they thought about diving with the sharks, please let me know!

I would say skip it honestly. You have so much real diving available in California.

The tank is 22' deep. Which means most of your dive is going to be in the 15-20' range unless you're dragging yourself along the bottom.

Even with a more conservative adjustment for the higher altitude, you don't need a 15' safety stop.

Enjoy your diving.
Good to know THXS! :)

It should have - he's dmoore19 if you want to start a Conversation with him.

I clicked on that link but it doesn't work, but ok thxs!

Works for me. Calling @dmoore19.

I live in Atlanta, not far from the Georgia Aquarium, and know various people who have done that dive. We all reach our own decisions, but to me, the captive whalesharks swimming round and round in circles are no less sad than the killer whale shows that Sea World has abandoned. I used to enjoy the Aquarium but just can't anymore, having seen such majestic animals in nature while I have been diving.

[QUOTE="Lorenzoid, post: 8324652, member: 62438"the captive whalesharks swimming round and round in circles are no less sad than the killer whale shows that Sea World has abandoned. I used to enjoy the Aquarium but just can't anymore, having seen such majestic animals in nature while I have been diving.

Then there's this ^^ which is a good point.
[/QUOTE]

And admittedly peripheral to the question the OP asked. The point gets raised in many of these aquarium diving threads, but if it's not something the OP is concerned about, then I apologize for the seeming invitation to go off-topic.

My buddy has done both - he advises to bring a family member with camera to Epcot to shoot thru the glass - the kids seem to like interacting with the divers.

Maybe get some more dives before Atlanta since if you want to pay for it - they have a Rebreather Dive option. Not sure what they require but my buddy mostly had several hundred o/w dives when he did it - no rebreather training.. Making almost no bubbles, the animals are mostly oblivious so you can get closer to any skittish ones.

Also for the aquarium bucket list - pricey though: Shark Reef Aquarium Dive in Las Vegas

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom