New diver! ..anyone dive in the aquarium in Denver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just completed OW cert dives 1&2 a few weeks ago in the Denver Aquarium. Not the biggest area to dive in, but it was enjoyable. I will say it was pretty cool swimming past the glass with people having dinner on the other side, got to wave back to kids several times, so they got a good show!

Last edited:
My wife and I took our grandchildren to the Denver Aquarium recently. My grandaughter (about age 4), knowing I am a scuba diver, asked me about it. I talked about it for a while, explaining the basic concepts.

About a half hour later we saw an aquarium diver with guide. My grandaughter watched the two of them for a moment and then explained to some passersby that although the guide looked to be a pretty good diver, the other diver was a bad diver because he was upright, with his fins on the bottom.

When aquarium diving, keep in mind that your skills are on full display, and even a 4-year old may know enough to identify your flaws.

For good or bad, my husband and I have booked the shark dive at Denver Aquarium. We are new divers certified in Cozumel in Nov 2023. We did 3 dives on the Big Island in Feb of this year, (which were dreadful due to swell at the time). So we are well under 20 dives. We are from Nebraska and obviously landlocked. We were going to be in CO anyway, so we thought this might be fun. I am aware it is an "aquarium" and not an optimal dive. The animals are VERY captive, which is sad. Is there a way we can make the best of this dive? I see a post here about how scuba skills will be on full display at the viewing glass. Praying my nerves and buoyancy will be adequate. I tend to need ALOT of weight as I am a nervous big girl. At LDS I use around 25-30 lbs. I have been judged for using this weight, actually denied this much on the Big Island. This is another topic completely . Anyway, any positive advice or hopeful comments are greatly appreciated.

I see a post here about how scuba skills will be on full display at the viewing glass.

Well, if this is a concern for you, you should know that it is true.

I was once there watching a dive with my young granddaughter, about age 5 or so. There was a diver pretty much standing on the bottom, while the professional on the dive was hovering nicely in trim. I very quietly explained the difference to her. Later on, when I was looking at something else, I heard her explaining all that to some random people nearby.

There is no way you need 25-30 pounds under those circumstances. I am sure they will not let you dive like that.

I see a post here about how scuba skills will be on full display at the viewing glass. Praying my nerves and buoyancy will be adequate. I tend to need ALOT of weight as I am a nervous big girl.

I was originally going to say that the general public won’t know good diving from bad, but then I read the post above yours. I would say that John’s grandchildren are probably more knowledgeable than most aquarium visitors.

I’ve done a bit over 50 dives at an aquarium. Most of the time I was doing a job (cleaning, etc.), but on a few I was talent during a show, often in costume, but sometimes not. They most likely won’t recognize you. I saw a few guests at the aquarium later, and even talked to them. I had to let them know that I was the diver they interacted with through the glass as they had no idea.

This was a photo the aquarium used on their website to promote an event I was involved in. Halloween time, Ghostbuters themed. My buoyancy is not great as I was purposely a bit overweighted to interact with guests who are at ground level. My daughter is the other diver in the pic. Pretty sure this was the only dive where our SAC rates were identical. She had a lot of fun with the bubble gun in her hand.

Attachments

• IMG_0549.jpeg
    IMG_0549.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 21
Well, if this is a concern for you, you should know that it is true.

I was once there watching a dive with my young granddaughter, about age 5 or so. There was a diver pretty much standing on the bottom, while the professional on the dive was hovering nicely in trim. I very quietly explained the difference to her. Later on, when I was looking at something else, I heard her explaining all that to some random people nearby.

There is no way you need 25-30 pounds under those circumstances. I am sure they will not let you dive like that.
Chances are I will never see these people again even if they comment on my dive skills. Hadn't thought of that. They can judge away actually. I appreciate your response to me boulderjohn.

I was originally going to say that the general public won’t know good diving from bad, but then I read the post above yours. I would say that John’s grandchildren are probably more knowledgeable than most aquarium visitors.

I’ve done a bit over 50 dives at an aquarium. Most of the time I was doing a job (cleaning, etc.), but on a few I was talent during a show, often in costume, but sometimes not. They most likely won’t recognize you. I saw a few guests at the aquarium later, and even talked to them. I had to let them know that I was the diver they interacted with through the glass as they had no idea.

This was a photo the aquarium used on their website to promote an event I was involved in. Halloween time, Ghostbuters themed. My buoyancy is not great as I was purposely a bit overweighted to interact with guests who are at ground level. My daughter is the other diver in the pic. Pretty sure this was the only dive where our SAC rates were identical. She had a lot of fun with the bubble gun in her hand.
Those costumes are great! Thank you for responding to me. It is good to know. As a very new diver so many circumstances effect buoyancy. I am hopeful I will learn more as I dive. Do you still work at the Aquarium? This may be as close to sharks I come forever. I don't plan to ever do baited dives or such. Do most people enjoy their dives there, that you know of? Thank you for responding to me Belzelbub.

Do you still work at the Aquarium?
No. Not currently. I volunteered there for several years. They just changed their shifts which made it impossible for me. My daughter does work there, though.
I don't plan to ever do baited dives or such.
I don’t blame you there. Baited shark dives are not my idea of a good idea.

Do most people enjoy their dives there, that you know of?
Yes. Everyone I knew enjoyed their dives there.

No. Not currently. I volunteered there for several years. They just changed their shifts which made it impossible for me. My daughter does work there, though.

I don’t blame you there. Baited shark dives are not my idea of a good idea.

Yes. Everyone I knew enjoyed their dives there.
Thank you Belzulbub.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom