New Diver--Continuing Ed Classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Jen19fish,

I'm new to the Dallas area but have started diving here since I'll be in the area for a while. I found some buddies through local dive shops (ScubaToys and International Scuba), off divebuddy.com and by joining a scuba club. I'm a little beyond taking training courses to get my diving fix but I do like to find buddies and work on skills. Maybe the same thing can work for you. See if clubs like Diving Rebels, SCUBADILLO DIVE CLUB (this is the one I joined) or Adventure Diver's Club.

The clubs have dive trips you can go on but they also do some training. Scubadillo had an instructor talk about doing search and recovery then we did some skills training on the surface before getting in the water. After training on using a compass we played a game called 'poker run' which required everyone to search for playing cards. The best 'hand' would win a prize. They are going out to Possum Kingdom next weekend to help clean up the lake. I won't be in town for that but I am planning on going to the underwater pumpkin carving in October. You can do whatever you are comfortable at these events.

Also, if you just wanted to go out to CSSP and work on skills I'd be happy to join you if I'm in town. CSSP is a good place to meet. I go to the pavilion for dive shops or scuba clubs and talk to the instructors to see if they can introduce me to some of the divers. I'm going to be going out there on Sunday to do some diving with one of the guys from ScubaToys. If I meet other divers looking to get some practice in I'll probably jump in the water with them.

Do you have all your own gear? The less you need to rent the easier it is to just go for a dive.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have some fun diving ahead of you. :) An active dive club is a great asset, and here you have a couple of invitations for local clubs.

Some of the best dives are the ones where you just get in some calm water and enjoy it, especially early on.

On the other hand, taking a class can be a great way to motivate yourself to get out and dive.

So, do both. :)

Yes… where I live mud would best describe it. all other dives require a flight for me (at least from what I've seen so far)
the most valuable thing you can get is bottom time. Take the classes, but realize that there may be dives that are just intrinsically interesting in your area. bottle collecting, fossil hunting or whatever (then again, a mud hole may be a mud hole, I've never been to Texas. I am not even sure they have surface water there).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom