New diver going to San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunshinecat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently got my OW certification and have done 6 dives since then in Key Largo. I'm looking at diving in San Diego in a few weeks and am wondering what the best dives are for a new diver. It looks like my options are either a boat trip to Point Loma Kelp or Los Coronados or a shore dive in La Jolla Shores or La Jolla Cove. Is one of these more suitable for a beginner? Since I'm only going to be there one day is there one location that would give me the best experience? Thanks!

Congratulations on your OW certification. San Diego has many dive opportunities. Given your skill level, I would recommend a day trip to the Coronados Islands or to the kelp beds. More suitable for you, and if you prefer shore diving, you're best bet would be La Jolla Cove. Let me know what you prefer and I can give you mopre detailed recommendations on boats and dive shops to rent gear.

In any case, I would either hire a local dive guide or get in touch with experienced locals to take you out and introduce you to the dive sites. If you share with us your planned day of diving, I'm sure you'll find someone here on SB and, of course, I'd be more than happy to take you diving if I'm available.

Enjoy your trip!
Gerald

hey sunshinecat, I total agree with ScubaG on the kelp or Coronados boat trips. The two names that keep popping up as class acts are San Diego Scuba Diving,San Diego Dive Boats,Dive Charters Home Page,San Diego California,san diego scuba diving boats,san diego boat dives,san diego scuba diving,san diego scuba diving charters,scuba diving san diego california and San Diego Scuba Diving,San Diego Dive Boats,Lois Ann Dive Charters Home Page,San Diego California,san diego scuba diving boats,san diego boat dives,san diego scuba diving,san diego scuba diving charters,scuba diving san diego california . Keep in mind that you will want to dive with a 7mm suit and will have to add more lead than KeyLargo diving. Let us know when you plan to dive in case there is someone one the board that is going the same time. Enjoy

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards the kelp or Coronados, but Marissa and Lois Ann are full for the day I'll be there (July 18). Any other dive operator suggestions for boat trips? If not, I may just have to do a shore dive this time and do the boat dive on another trip.

If I decide to do La Jolla Cove, which dive shops should I look into going with?

A good third choice for me is the Humbolt ( Waterhorse Charters - Charter Boat Schedule )
but they are only going to the 'Nods on Friday 17th & Sunday the 19th.
Another company that can be a hit or miss is DCI ( Scuba Diving San Diego - Dive Boats - Scuba Tours - Daily Boat Dives - Dive Connections Inc. San Diego CA Home Page ) and they have trips planned on the Saturday the 18th. Sorry, can't help on shore diving options in San Diego area.
And, sorry I would be in the area then either. Good luck.

Hi sunshinecat,

My favorite operator is also Marissa but I have dived with Dive Connections several times and they were just fine. Their boat to the Coronados on the morning of the 18th may be just what you're looking for. Don't know if you need it but DCI offers complete rental (and nitrox) on site. All 4 operators mentioned are close in proximity in Quivera Basin.

I've not used them, but know that OEX in La Jolla (OEX also operates Waterhorse Charters) offers guided dives in La Jolla Shores. This might offer you an alternative to the boat.

Good luck and good diving, Craig

I'm heading out to San Diego the weekend of Comic Con (my son is running a Dr. Steel fan table for the Con), and my Father's Day present from the kids will be a dive excursion while I'm out there.

Since they don't know much about any of the outfits, they're leaving it up to me to recommend which I go with. I'll be without my favorite Dive Buddy, since my wife is saving her time-off and staying home to watch the critters, so I need an outfit that has no problems with solo divers.

I was looking at S.E. Adventures for their shore dives. Anyone have any experience with them and care to comment whether they're a good outfit to go with or not?

After reading this topic, I'm also interested in the Marissa, since their prices seem reasonable and they're receiving good recommends from several of you.

Definite newbie question here, and one I really need to ask, as I certainly don't want to short-change anyone from not knowing:

What is a reasonable tip for the crew on something like the Marissa, for a 2 dive local trip?

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards the kelp or Coronados, but Marissa and Lois Ann are full for the day I'll be there (July 18). Any other dive operator suggestions for boat trips? If not, I may just have to do a shore dive this time and do the boat dive on another trip.

If I decide to do La Jolla Cove, which dive shops should I look into going with?

how about driving up to Long Beach and diving on the Great Escape to Catalina?
Great Escape Southern California Scuba Dive Boat Calendar
$140pp (must provide your own tanks and wts thought) but includes 3 dives, hot breakfast, hot lunch, snacks, drinks, and air fills. Catalina is an excellent destination for beginners, too. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom