New Diver looking for basic equipment advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigWhiteSquare:
TUSA X-Pert Zooms... that I got for $60 on ebay. :D

I'm still thinkin' 'bout gettin the Bio-Fins with spring straps though. The cheapest I've been able to find them is about $190 (that's why I don't think they're worth $270).

If anybody knows anyplace cheaper let me know.

your "Frugal Friend",
El Cheapo

___

I waited for some Bios to come up on ebay (they pop up here pretty often too), then I installed the C-straps myself. Probably ended up more in the ~$120 range for both with the springs being most expensive. I really like the way the C-straps attach though...much better than manta straps or other aftermarket solutions.

I saw a pair with the spring straps for sale here a few weeks ago in that price range. Good luck! They are awesome fins :D

Well thanks for chipping in scubadobadoo!

I already know i'll have a blast diving - I've only done 1 open water dive, and 2 pool dives so far. Some other students and myself wanted to play so the instructor let us throw a rocket around underwater while everyone else was taking a bathroom break and we had a blast!

Can't wait to get back in the water for our OW dives, and then I'm going to see what the LDS has scheduled in the coming weeks to see if i can dive more!

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Here ya go:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=118060&highlight=leisurepro+holes+punch

I'm sure you can PM the member and tell them you don't believe their story. But anyone who has worked with ScubaToys knows they would replace such a defective piece of equipment and take it up with the manufacturer themselves.

LP has no relationship with the manufacturer, which is why you don't get a warranty (sorry...LP warranty doesn't count to me..when the rubber hits the road, they don't cover you because they have to cover stuff like replacements out of pocket wheras an authorized dealer simply takes it up with the manufacturer). It's also why you'll get stuff with the serial numbers removed from them. Because the shops that sell to LP don't want to get busted by the manufacturer tracing the sale back to them.

Might as well buy your scuba gear from some guy in an alley out of the back of a truck...don't worry, he'll cover the warranty for you.

I have personally seen enough crap from LP that I would never use them again, and stories like the one I just posted only reaffirm that decision, but to each his own.

Please note that in your link above the person in question continues to not only use but defend LP after the "incident" as you continue to offer advice such as "LP sucks" and "so does your LDS."

There are two types of the spring straps. The type from Apollo that requires drilling (better cross your fingers) and a cheaper after-market brand that just clips onto the existing pegs (I have these and love them). I didn't pay $270 for 'em either. I think you can bargain a little. I know that buying more than one thing at a time allows them to sell items at "package prices", that wouldn't otherwise be possible.

I hope this helps in the search for a good fin. I know that I've tried quite a few and I'm happiest with my Apollo XTs, despite the Navy Seal look of 'em.

In addition to the sites mentioned above I have ordered from scuba.com and have had excellent service as well. I have also used diversdirect with good results. Look at Tusa Tri Ex fins. They are great fins at a very good price, around $ 80.00.

Get your mask, fins, snorkel first and go and try some different gear.

You will get sucked into 'needing' more or better gear and it is a constant struggle to get out of the dive shop without a little extra piece of kit.

Find out what sort of BC you would prefer. Vest or back inflate, etc. This way you figure out what works best for you before investing.

I have bought from LP and Scubatoys and had a good experience with both. Hats off to Scubatoys though for a fast and friendly service. I bought a dry suit last year and the other day a dive computer and each time was given good advice and a great price.

Good luck with your choice. I won't mention the fins I use as they tend provoke alot of discussion. Get what fits and works for you.

Here is a very timely quote from SB member Mbd (President, Apollo Sports USA, INC.) on the LP debate in another lengthy thread from the past.

"LP sells $10,000,000.00 + SCUBA gear each year. Most likely 80% or more of the items they sell they buy direct from the manufacturer. Other items they buy, in large quantity, from "Authorized Dealers". Every manufacturer/distributor knows this. If your LDS/PDC simply would say; "OK, you are shopping. Let's see what we can do to help." This thread would go away."

Still think LP doesn't have a relationship with the manufacturer and other LDS's? Saying that buying from LP is like buying gear from the back of a truck is implying that they are an illegal business in some way and that borders on slander. If they are breaking the law (they aren't) then some manufacturers and LDS's are helping them to do it and that according to the President of Apollo Sports USA. Like them or not, fine by me. I just don't like to see second hand opinion turn into fact. Happy diving all!

All that typed, I still vote for Scuba Toys if they carry what you need.

Here is a link to that debate...http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=89388&page=12&highlight=hissing+first+stage

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom