New Diver looking for spots (and help!) in New England

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi! My husband and I are recently OW certified. We've done about 25 dives, none by ourselves. My inlaws are down in Narragansett, RI, and I'm wondering if there's any places in the area that do dives for relative beginners with equipment rentals? We have never dove anywhere north of Cuba :). Any thoughts or assistance would be welcome!

Get a hold of Jerry Shine's book "A Shore Diving Guide to New England". It's pretty much the bible for the most well known dive sites around here. He details the dive, parking, entries & exits and any notable hazards. It will cost you less than a couple of fills and gear rental for a day.

Happy Diving.

Hi! My husband and I are recently OW certified. We've done about 25 dives, none by ourselves. My inlaws are down in Narragansett, RI, and I'm wondering if there's any places in the area that do dives for relative beginners with equipment rentals? We have never dove anywhere north of Cuba :). Any thoughts or assistance would be welcome!

There isn't any dive shop(s) in Narragansett. I think Warwick, Giant Strides Dive shop is the closest. I'm sure Red can find a guide and he does rent gear. Heck pick the right time I'll be your guide. My schedule is crazy.

Diving this far north of Cuba is.........different.

Most of the p[laces that have already been listed are great to dive. We dive Jamestown (Fort Wetherill State Park Fort Wetherill State Park) at least once a month, but a little closer to home is Stonington Point (duBois Beach). Seaview Scuba in Quaker Hill and Divers Cove in Essex dive there. If you look at the facebook group for SECONN (Southeast Connecticut Dive club) we post on there when individuals are out diving and most of us would welcome new divers to accompany us. Also, either of those shops can rent gear to you.

Wetsuit diving starts going again in mid-May. Some real hardy souls will diver earlier, but I'll be in a drysuit until June :)

Last edited:
Check also with your local dive shops. I like New England Dive Shop in Wallingford. They are good folks, lots of local knowledge and they run trips to Jamestown and elsewhere. Full rental available. There is a shop in Rocky Hill and in Essex, CT as well. Orbits in Bpt was already mentioned. I have been diving Jamestown/Ft Wetherill for years and go back every year. Just be prepared for a wide variation in vis. There is a quarry not far from you. I have never been there but have seen the posts. I think it is called Brownstone and in or near Portland. Finding a good freshwater lake or pond is worth exploring as well. I dive Lake Quassapaug all summer and fall. I took a trip up to Lake George last summer and the diving and vis was great. Good luck and have fun.

+1 on Ft. Wetherill and the drive & dives hosted by New England Dive shop as well as Scuba Shack. I've gone diving in Bigelow State Park located in Union, CT.

I'm located in Bristol, CT and I am looking for dive buddies as well. PM me anytime, I'd love to tag along and get my fins wet to keep my skills fresh in between vacations.

Back
Top Bottom