New diver: Suggested conservatism settings for a Petrel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect he is trying to kill me. :wink:

Nah: he's a she, and as an MD she took an oath to first do no harm :wink:

I think you should post the question on Shearwater's sub-forum here, as to how the GF LOW setting works in the context of NDL diving, but...

having now run a few schedules on my Petrel, I see no difference in NDL time between 20/85, 40/85, or 85/85. So, I stand corrected on the relevance of GF LOW in the NDL context…though it still seems odd to me that GF LOW is playing no role in limiting NDL, given that the GF as one ascends is going to be way over the GF LOW throughout the deep part of the ascent.

The PADI table gives you a GF of roughly 80/100.
As Dr. Lecter has already elaborated, the GF low (the first number in the setting) does not play any role as long as you stay within NDL.
So only the GF high comes into play and it will shorten NDL the lower it is set.
As a new diver you will likely be limited by gas consumtion anyway, so I recommend leaving the default setting if you are a healthy young fit person. If you happen to be older than 40, obese or on some sort of cardiovascular medication the High setting (with the lowest GF high) is advisable.

The Petrel is a great choice, but do not invoke Tec mode before you understand what you are doing.

I believe the Nitrox rec. mode is designed for non-tech sport diving use, although it will allow for deco diving and use of a couple of deco gases. Just dive the MEDIUM, setting within NDL and adjust it over a few dives depending on how you're feeling... you only have two other options in rec mode anyway. DO however make sure that you have not added any gases in your Dive setup or make sure they are switched off ! In other words read and re-read the manual several times to have a very firm grasp of what the options are and what they mean.

Added flexibility and power from a computer like the Petrel means added respnasbility on your part to really understand your computer settings.

Zoops are $300. So, you'd save about $500 with it. Yet the Zoops have one of the worst algorithms on the planet. And one of the worst screens I've ever dealt with. And some of the worst UI I've ever dealt with. If OP has the money for a Petrel, enjoy the Petrel. If you don't, then don't get one. It's as simple as that.

+1

Leaving aside any consideration of technical diving, the Petrel is a terrific computer in rec mode for any diver because:

1) VERY readable display (especially good for aging eyes)

2) Very configurable display

3) User replaceable AA battery, any type.

4) Built like a tank, very reliable.

5) Company has fantastic customer service (I once wrote them with a question and they answered me within 20 minutes on a Sunday night).

6) Log downloading very easy, when I used a Suunto cable, it was ALWAYS a struggle

So, if a new diver has very limited funds, or has decided that they absolutely have to have wireless AI, then I guess the Petrel shouldn't be considered. But IMHO, it's certainly worth the money for any diver if they can afford it, and seems to be a lot more usable than one of those fancy little wristwatch style computers that cost significantly more than the Petrel.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I am temporarily closing this thread while I work on it. This is a green zone, and much of this conversation violates the rules for a green zone discussion, and much of it is off topic.
The thread is open again. Please remember that this is a green zone that has tight limits on flaming responses. The topic of this thread is clearly stated in its title. Please sick with it.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I am temporarily closing this thread while I work on it. This is a green zone, and much of this conversation violates the rules for a green zone discussion, and much of it is off topic.
The thread is open again. Please remember that this is a green zone that has tight limits on flaming responses. The topic of this thread is clearly stated in its title. Please sick with it.

Haha, I guess I missed some drama overnight! Don't know if BoulderJohn deleted some messages, but I've found all of the replies to be of value to me as a new diver, trying to learn this fancy new box.

Haha, I guess I missed some drama overnight! Don't know if BoulderJohn deleted some messages,
Only 10.

+1

Leaving aside any consideration of technical diving, the Petrel is a terrific computer in rec mode for any diver because:

1) VERY readable display (especially good for aging eyes)

2) Very configurable display

3) User replaceable AA battery, any type.

4) Built like a tank, very reliable.

5) Company has fantastic customer service (I once wrote them with a question and they answered me within 20 minutes on a Sunday night).

6) Log downloading very easy, when I used a Suunto cable, it was ALWAYS a struggle

So, if a new diver has very limited funds, or has decided that they absolutely have to have wireless AI, then I guess the Petrel shouldn't be considered. But IMHO, it's certainly worth the money for any diver if they can afford it, and seems to be a lot more usable than one of those fancy little wristwatch style computers that cost significantly more than the Petrel.

Doctormike's post very nicely summarizes why I chose this computer. One additional factor was that if I decide to progress into Tech, I already have the right box.

... if I decide to progress into Tech, I already have the right box.

YES you DO... if indeed you decide to go that route. For what it's worth (not much quite honestly), I wear Petrel for OC diving AND when diving eCCR. Works great.

However, the new recreational interface is awesome.

Have fun. Dive safe. Dive often.

Back
Top Bottom