new divers and rescue skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to add to the hijack....

I fully agree with everything Peter said. I feel I can do whatever it takes within the PADI system to make a solid OW diver. I don't see that I am doing anything convoluted to do that.

On the other hand, I do agree that a lot of instructors from a lot of agencies, including PADI, do not do all they can within the system to create solid OW divers, and many come very short of that. As I have said many times, I experienced that in my own OW certification, which I later realized did not meet a number of the standards. I also feel that some unfortunate traditions have become thoroughly ingrained in the process, including most famously the obsession with teaching skills to overweighted divers kneeling on the pool floor. I see it as my duty to do what I can to show people that these are not requirements of the standards and that by deviating from those traditions they can produce better divers with even less instructional time and effort than before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom