New DS51 Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

S. starfish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just pulled my new DS51 out of the box last night and have been having some issues that I hope are user error. I have it set up as a slave with the EV controller with a Canon SX200 IS and Ikelite housing. When I have the camera set in manual mode (pre flash off) the strobe works flawlessly. However, when I use the camera in anything other than manual mode (pre flash on now) the strobe fires incorrectly when the controller is set to F, 0.5 and 1, so I get some nice dark images. It works properly on all other settings. Suggestions?

Edit: I have the strobe set to TTL.

I just did another quick test that I didn't think to do last night. When the camera is set to manual but the EV controller is set for pre-flash, the strobe seems to fire at the appropriate time with the controller set to F, 0.5 or 1. So it looks like for whatever reason those three power settings aren't compensating for pre flash, even though they should be. Still, fingers crossed for user error, I want to play with it in the ocean, not put it in a box and send it back.

S. starfish,

We spoke on the phone today. Hopefully all your questions have been answered.

Regards,

Following up so that everyone knows the answer to this problem...

Canon point and shoot digital cameras emit a pre-flash in automatic modes (Av, Tv, P, etc.) but not in the manual mode (M).

It sounds like the EV Controller is set to the no pre-flash setting. When the strobe is triggered at full or close to full power on the preflash, the DS51 will expend all of its energy on the preflash and not be able to recycle quickly enough to fire again for the main flash. Setting the EV Controller to preflash (see instructions) will adjust the timing so that your strobe fires on the camera's main flash.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom