New equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont want to get into a discussion on pony bottle size here either...I plan on always being in close proximity to my buddy...and gas management is a priority (never run out of air) But in the unlikely event of a first stage reg failure, cylinder valve seal failure, hose rupture near the end of a dive, etc. and my buddy, god forbid, is 10 or 15m away I would have a back up system to at least signal and or get with my buddy to share air and make a controlled ascent without concern

Tuse Liberator mask (prescription) If it fits YOU, it is OK
Genesis Surf snorkel OK
Mares 5/4/3 wetsuit If it fits YOU, AND it is appropriate for YOUR diving environment (which we still know nothing about), it is OK
Aeris XR1 wrist computer OK
Deep Sea 5mm boots OK, if they fit
Zeagle Ranger LTD BCD 2009 Good BCD. I started with a Ranger. Not what I would recommend now, knowing what I know. But, you didn't ask your question BEFORE buying.
Zeagle inline octoZ Why in the world did you get this?
Mares Mission 3 console OK, if you really want a 3 gauge console. What compass is in it? What SPG? What depth gauge?
XS Seair Trimetal 1st & 2nd stage Why in the world did you get this particular regulator?
Zeagle pony bottle (6cu ft ) Why in the world did you get a 6 cf pony bottle? I use a 6 cf bottle for drysuit inflation and it is small for that. Sure you 'stay glued to your buddy' and you 'dont want to get into a discussion on pony bottle size here either'. But why get a 6 cf bottle as a 'backup for a backup'? If you don't want to get into the discussion, why ask us to 'Tell me what you think, any tips or advice welcome'?
It appears that you either bought gear from someone who had "like new' gear they wanted to sell - if you got a good deal, then fantastic - or you assembled this as a new set of gear - a package perhaps, from Leisurepro for example. I have to ask, 'Who advised you on this?'

I dont want to get into a discussion on pony bottle size here either...I plan on always being in close proximity to my buddy...and gas management is a priority (never run out of air) But in the unlikely event of a first stage reg failure, cylinder valve seal failure, hose rupture near the end of a dive, etc. and my buddy, god forbid, is 10 or 15m away I would have a back up system to at least signal and or get with my buddy to share air and make a controlled ascent without concern

I didn't walk up to you at a dive site and start lecturing you about your pony bottle. You went on a public forum on the internet and asked for people's advice. According to your scenario where you're monitoring your air and no more than 10 or 15m from your buddy and your 1st stage or valve seal fails you'd still have enough time to swim to your buddy before the tank is empty. A pony is for when the S**t hits the fan. In that scenario you will likely find your choice of backup cylinder a bit lacking.

I myself has a pair of the 5mm deep sea booties, i dont know if i got the short end of the stick or what, but for some reason one of them was always hard to zip up. As far as quality, i think you'll be impressed with them. I do a lot of diving in spring fed rivers and find after stepping on rocks, sticks, and other stuff they have held up decently. As for the xs sea air regulator, i had a friend that had that exact setup and although it hasn't made a huge number of dives it breaths well deeper (120 ft) and have not had problems in cold water with it (40 degrees). For a cheaper reg i have been impressed thus far.

-Derek

I dont mind a discussion, I just didnt want it to turn into a pony bottle thread. Seems there's lots of opinions on those from people more experienced tham myself.

I didnt buy anything used or in a package, but got a very, very, good deal on everything from several different suppliers. I won't go into specifics on who,what, when, $.

The Zeagle line all seems to be top quality locally supported equipment. The Ranger seemed a good choice with its modular design and multiple fastening systems should I decide to take my diving to other levels in the future

The Mares M3 console came with the standard M3 analog gauge package- I assume the gauges themselves are manufactured by Mares but I could be wrong on that. The compass is a top read lubber line or gunsight. Zone 1 cal. with up to a 20deg offset-Mares I assume

The Zeagle inline Octo Z was a personal choice on my part. If the people I'm diving with (instructors) feel this is unacceptable its easy enough to put on a conventional octo

The Seair Trimetal Regs for the money in my opinion was the best reg

The pony bottle-that size and type was a personal decision by me

Aeris Computers are Palegics. Good equipment and stellar customer service.

Zeagle is an American company. Good products and superior customer service.

I dont mind a discussion, I just didnt want it to turn into a pony bottle thread. Seems there's lots of opinions on those from people more experienced tham myself. OK, fair enough

I didnt buy anything used or in a package, but got a very, very, good deal on everything from several different suppliers. I won't go into specifics on who,what, when, $. No need for specifics. It just seems that there are a lot of brands mixed in to your selection, which suggest an on line purchase rather than a LDS, where you might have fewer brands. If you really got a great deal, good for you.

The Zeagle line all seems to be top quality locally supported equipment. The Ranger seemed a good choice with its modular design and multiple fastening systems should I decide to take my diving to other levels in the future It really is a great BCD. Very comfortable. And, I like Zeagle a lot. But, my Ranger sits unused in my closet since I switched to a BP/W. In hindsight, I wish I had asked about other options, hence my comment.

The Mares M3 console came with the standard M3 analog gauge package- I assume the gauges themselves are manufactured by Mares but I could be wrong on that. The compass is a top read lubber line or gunsight. Zone 1 cal. with up to a 20deg offset-Mares I assume Sounds like a useful piece of gear. Personally, I started with a two gauge console, because I wanted the compass more easily available.

The Zeagle inline Octo Z was a personal choice on my part. If the people I'm diving with (instructors) feel this is unacceptable its easy enough to put on a conventional octo I don't think it will necessaarily be unaccepotable. I was just curious about the 'why'.

The Seair Trimetal Regs for the money in my opinion was the best reg Now, this one I am really curious about. What was the basis for that decision? Not disagreeing, but if you decided on a Ranger in part because Zeagle is a good brand, and you bought Mares, and TUSA, etc. why go with what can best be considered an 'off brand'. That doesn't imply it is a bad reg. But, it is a bit more obscure, so you have to seek it out as an option.

The pony bottle-that size and type was a personal decision by me And, again, I am curious about the decision-making process, as apparently are several other posters on the thread. The 6cf bottle is such a small amount of air, one reaction (that you have already seen) is, 'Why bother?'
Interesting selection of gear. If it works for you, then you made a great set of choices.

Splash-X -yeah I know... that was kind of a general question

To be honest, we're three pages in to the thread and we still don't know where your from, what type of diving you do or any of the basics... what gives? It's VERY difficult to assist you if you don't open up to us and tell us more about you and your diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom