New Features at Mansfield

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First off while digging around I found these little tid-bits:
LCRA site:
Scuba diving
Diving is almost as easy as stepping right from your car door into the lake. We have provided dive stairs, a wheelchair-accessible ramp, and a courtesy dive lift to ease the trek from hillside to lakeside. Underwater amusement has been enhanced by the addition of four underwater dive platforms at various lake levels. Also, an underwater trail and compass course will be laid out to connect dive attractions such as sunken boats, historic dam construction materials, and geological points of interest.
Tucked away from the rest of the park, our dive camping area will open soon, giving scuba enthusiasts six camping pods (each accommodating up to 30 individuals) with covered picnic shelters, restrooms, showers, separate dive stairs, and nearby parking. Camping in this area is by reservation only.
The western peninsula of Mansfield Dam park enjoys some of the most beautiful views of Lake Travis. Wander along our hike and bike trail to a peaceful pavilion surrounded by trees and vines. This is an excellent spot to appreciate the view, watch the wildlife, or read a book.
For more information, visit Travis County parks.
Source: LCRA website
Hours of Operation

Sunrise to 9:00 pm for day-use visitors.
Entrance Fees

• Day Permit -- $8.00 (per vehicle)
  • Pedestrian / Bicyclist -- $3.00

Additional Permits

• Annual Day Permit -- $75.00
    (per vehicle)
  • Pedestrian / Bicycle Annual -- $25.00
    (must show ID and permit when entering the park )
  • Lone Star Senior Pass -- Free to ages 62 and older
  • Lone Star Veteran Pass -- Free
    (to veterans with more than 60% service related disability)
  • Overnight Camping
    with Lone Star or Annual Permits - $7.00
    (with vehicle permit)
  • Trailer Parking Annual -- $30.00

Last Modified: Friday, June 6, 2008 2:11 PM
Source: LCRA website
I suggest that if we want to do this we do it on the sly until questions are asked by the powers that be ... unless someone here has a good administrative LCRA ear to bend for the proper permissions. Maybe we work out a critical path of operations with the less conspicuous tasks at the top of the list so that if we get a "Cease and Desist" order (and I'm thinking we might) than at least we will have done something.

This "formal channels" concept could be very very long in producing an affirmative. We go in and just start fixing stuff, unless someone shows up with a inert gas welder and a truck full of steel, and we might get some work done.

BTW ... in case you haven't figured it out I'm in :D

I've got some connections with the good folks at LCRA. In fact, I had one of them over to the house last night.They should be able to put me in touch with the approving authority. I doubt any maintenance issues will be a big deal. And moving things around should not cause much trouble as long as we make sure the new location does not create a hazard. The only thing that may cause a fuss is adding a major feature such as a car or houseboat. They will want to make sure it is environmentally safe as well as not a navigational hazard.

I dove Mansfield yesterday evening with a class. The plan was to drop down to the platform next to the sailboat and navigate to the plane. While we were descending down the float line, we reached the bottom and I held the end of the line in my hand. It had broken loose from the platform. :confused: If anyone is heading out there, please take a couple of crescent wrenches with you and re-attach the float. :D

The plane and the 2 boats are pretty mucked over. :shakehead: Would it make sense for someone to go down there with a scooter to blow the crud off of them. I know it would not last long, but it may ease the silt out situation for a few weeks.

Another thought I had was to separate the two boats that are stacked together. This would be a fun lift bag project and add yet another drop down spot. The moved boat could be marked with the float currently attached to the rock in 10' of water.

IThe plane and the 2 boats are pretty mucked over. :shakehead: Would it make sense for someone to go down there with a scooter to blow the crud off of them. I know it would not last long, but it may ease the silt out situation for a few weeks.

That would make a big difference I bet. I wish I had a DPV to do that. :wink:

Another thought I had was to separate the two boats that are stacked together. This would be a fun lift bag project and add yet another drop down spot. The moved boat could be marked with the float currently attached to the rock in 10' of water.

I'm not expert at moving really big stuff, like boats, but my guess is that it will take some pretty serious lift bags and a substantial amount of air to move either of those sailboats.

Do any of us Swampers have experience doing this?? If so, chime in. I'd be happy to help.

BTW, Mack, it looks like I'm going to be off after next week up until the last week of July. Yippee!!!!! I should have plenty of time on my hands if you want to get together and pencil a plan of action to improve the park at Mansfield. I can work on it a little at a time.

this definitely sounds like a project we should all toss in and help on. let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

i was talking with one of my instructors the other day and he was saying that although the posted map is dated and inaccurate there was a printed one tacked to the board that was fairly accurate, and even had compass headings from both stairs

working on the platforms will defintely give us another option for training in Travis and we need to see what can do to make it a reality

I'd be happy to pitch in with the work. If the scuba shops would like a bouyancy course out there I'd even install it if they are willing to buy the parts...pvc pipe, hoops, rope, cement and eye-bolts for anchors, etc.

I'd be happy to pitch in with the work. If the scuba shops would like a bouyancy course out there I'd even install it if they are willing to buy the parts...pvc pipe, hoops, rope, cement and eye-bolts for anchors, etc.

Maybe we could talk a local home depot or lowes manager into donating the pieces in exchange for a few of their logo stickers on the pvc and some thanks into a few local dive/lake newsletters.

btw, how was the clipper trip? Did you wear your DIMWIT shirt? did you get any new orders? I figure anyone diving the clipper has satisfied the T part right there. I've decided I could use a couple more gray for myself and may order my dad a couple if we decide to do a second order.

Maybe we could talk a local home depot or lowes manager into donating the pieces in exchange for a few of their logo stickers on the pvc and some thanks into a few local dive/lake newsletters.

btw, how was the clipper trip? Did you wear your DIMWIT shirt? did you get any new orders? I figure anyone diving the clipper has satisfied the T part right there. I've decided I could use a couple more gray for myself and may order my dad a couple if we decide to do a second order.

See my trip report on the Clipper...I spent most of my day seeing everything I ate that morning for the second time. :shakehead: I'm sure the fish were happy about it though. :wink:

I like your idea about Home Depot or Lowe's. Let's look into that.

Not sure about a second order of t-shirts. Give me a month or so to forget about how time consuming this go 'round was. :wink: We'll need a minimum number of t-shirts to do a second run. I'll find out from Austin Screen Printing what that minimum number is.

I like the idea of hitting them up for donations. I think we need to survey the platforms and figure out what materials would be needed. We could also put together a materials list to build a new platform. I'd be happy to have their logo or sign on the platform in exchange. :D

NadMat and I went to the platform this weekend and checked it out. The base of the platform is metal structure and is in great shape. I even grabbed it and tried to shake it and it didn't budge. The problem is the bowing/ loose boards. Although you may assume the boards are wooden, closer inspection revealed that they are not. They are made from some type of formed material. A close look at the edge of a board shows it is like a concrete block - 2 hollow squares run right through the middle. I could easily pick one up; they are barely negative. Maybe the boards are hardy plank? Some were still bolted down but the bolts are completely missing on others.
We also found a part of the old buoyancy course. Totally intact and made of PVC. Current depth is 35-40.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom