New Flights to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got an advertisement from Bill Beard's Costa Rica Newsletter saying that TACA announces fare reduction. When I went on TACA's website true enough the prices are lower. From Miami to Roatan $366; from Houston $445.

Michele

Sirto:
I just saw that Continental will be adding a second flight to Roatan on Saturdays starting 12/18.

Flight 1864 from Houston leaves at 12:50 and arrives at 3:44 (vs 12:24 for the early flight - due to change to daylight standard time)

The return flight 1865 leaves Roatan at 4:30 (vs 1:24) and arrives in Houston at 7:20

This may help some people who can't get to Houston early enough for the first flight without staying overnight in Houston.

Ed

Damn! That IS cheap!! I'm having to pay $830 round trip from LAX (Continental and TACA were the same, and Continental had better connections) around Xmas / New Year's time....What can you do if you want to go diving that time?

I was even considering going to Asia (even for only 10 days of diving) but the usual fare I paid (around $650) has climbed just as much--to over $1200!!

Don't feel too bad. We have to spend around $900 from Indy through Houston on Continental. We could have gotten tickets with extra stops, too short of layovers or even used Taca. We chose to go with peace of mind and decided to fly to Houston the night before and get to Roatan early. I don't worry about the return trip, Getting there was important.

Harley1962:
Damn! That IS cheap!! I'm having to pay $830 round trip from LAX (Continental and TACA were the same, and Continental had better connections) around Xmas / New Year's time....What can you do if you want to go diving that time?

I was even considering going to Asia (even for only 10 days of diving) but the usual fare I paid (around $650) has climbed just as much--to over $1200!!

Continental has been doing their non-stop round trip flight to Roatan, Sat-Sat, for several months. They get there earlier and leave later than does TACA. Their fares are a bit higher than TACA but most folks still prefer the better dive-friendly schedule.

There is also less chance your luggage won't get there on Continental's direct flight. I don't need another trip where my luggage is 52 hrs late. That happened last year when the conveyor belt broke down in Philly when we flew USAIR to Cayman. That really sucked.

Dee:
Continental has been doing their non-stop round trip flight to Roatan, Sat-Sat, for several months. They get there earlier and leave later than does TACA. Their fares are a bit higher than TACA but most folks still prefer the better dive-friendly schedule.

Brown Mermaid:
I just got an advertisement from Bill Beard's Costa Rica Newsletter saying that TACA announces fare reduction. When I went on TACA's website true enough the prices are lower. From Miami to Roatan $366; from Houston $445.

Michele

I got that newsletter also, but as I read it and the info on the TACA site, I concluded the reduction was only for fares within Central America, eg San Jose to Tegulcigalpa, not for one flights with a US airport.

I live in Houston and check the prices regularly, Hou to Roatan has hovered between 400 and 500 for the past year or so. A couple of years ago, TACA had a special and I got Hou-Roatan for $250 roundtrip.

I checked daily for a week trying to get a cheaper far to Roatan for July 30. I knew that a $713 from Lubbock existed, but not showing up in inventory for the later flight. I cannot leave Lubbock and connect to the earlier flight.

I finally gave in today - cheaper fares seems to show up mid-week mornings and paid a little extra. When I went to the seating chart, I saw why. Over 1/3 of coach already sold, this far in advance. Obviously a group, as they were all in one big block, including all middle seats.

Really happy about this later connection, as I can't make the early one, and a Taca flight from Houston would be too late for same day to Utila. Taca does have earlier flights from other airports, but I guess they can't have all of them landing at once. :D If you've ever been to RTB, you can imagine what that'd be like. :shocked:

Dan Gibson:
There is also less chance your luggage won't get there on Continental's direct flight. I don't need another trip where my luggage is 52 hrs late. That happened last year when the conveyor belt broke down in Philly when we flew USAIR to Cayman. That really sucked.

We're flying Continentals non-stop flight next May....so I don't want to hear about luggage being delayed! One reason we go non-stop is to avoid the hassles and luggage delays when stopping on the mainland.

Hi,
George will take you around the island and to several beaches in Roatan for the entire day very cheap. He can pick you up at the docs when your boat arrives. He has a child that is in very bad condition at the hospital and I promised to help him find work so he can pay some doctor bills and that is why I have posted here. I have used George as a tour guide 4 times already and he will take you just about anywhere you want to go in Roatan for $18/person for the day or $50/Max for 4 people. He speaks perfect English and has a jeep that holds 4 people plus room for some diving gear. His wheels are almost brand new so it's a nice ride. I believe he posts on that new Roatan Forums board at www.roatanforums.com. Check out the Roatan Cruise Ship Visitors section or the Roatan Scuba Diving or Roatan Transportation sections and make a post that you are looking for George. When he contacts you PLEASE tell him RICHARD told you about the $18 price with the $50 max for the day . I assume it is the same price because I used his services around 3 weeks ago.

Richard
:10:

We have found that the best time to purchase tickets is 4 weeks out. The prices tend to be the lowest at this point. Also, purchase Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday before 6 am Eastern time. Prices seem to go up dramatically around 8 or 9 am. Tuesday and Wednesday morning flights tend to be less expensive. Also, Tuesday is the best day to fly IMO when it comes to lighter crowds. If one could pick any day of the week to fly, that would be my choice.

DandyDon:
- cheaper fares seems to show up mid-week mornings

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom