New Flights to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a tip for you folks flying Continental - they do lose baggage, even on direct flights. We flew there in September, and they lost my friend's dive bag (minus his mask, reg and computer which he carried on). It took him three days to get it back, because they "lost" the tag that was placed on his bag in Houston. They claimed they had no way of knowing where his destination was (I guess they don't check the computers!). Anyway, there was no one in Roatan from Continental except on the days when the plane comes and goes. By chance on the second day he checked his home answering machine and they had left a message thanks to his own personal tag on the luggage.

So, the moral of the story is...watch and make sure the counter person carefully tags your bags, make sure you have a solid tag with your personal info on it (you may want to put the hotel and location where you're headed on it as well), and then if the bags don't show up, call home and check for messages. I'm sure the hard core divers know this, but we had to learn the hard way. We had a great taxi driver that ran to and from the airport twice a day to check for the bag, and on the third day he returned with it!

Good suggestions...!! (emphasis mine)
...make sure the counter person carefully tags your bags, make sure you have a solid tag with your personal info on it (you may want to put the hotel and location where you're headed on it as well), and then if the bags don't show up, call home and check for messages.
Yeah, I do that - put my name, hotel, hotel phone number, on tag for my bags. Hasn't saved me yet, but the day will come. :wink:

Especially important with Cont Air having a minimum ground pressence on Roatan, and me going to Utila. :eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom