New Generation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Baltimoron- I was using the Internet well before it went commercial (in the early 80's). It was so much better back then in terms of speed (and often content as well). How do you figure it is so "us?" It seems that much of it was developed by us old farts who actually went to school. The next generation seems to use it as a reality substitute... we know the difference!

Them's not meant to be fighting words though.

Dr. Bill

Mmmmmmmmm...old school internet! I remember real content... LOTS of it. I had my first taste of it in 1984.. stayed with it ever since. It got real mushy in the earyly 90's as the http protocol came out and now the 'net is full of misinformation and good information alike. Sometimes its tough to know what is what though. :)

We were sending messages to scientific "internet" bulletin boards off of ships, through an old NASA satellite, using frequency modified taxi radios,with aimable dipole antennas in the early 80's. There was a lot of unauthorized personal messages going through the links.

dlndavid:
Old School:
A college student at a recent UM football game challenged a senior citizen sitting next to him, saying it was impossible for their generation to understand his.

"You grew up in a different world," the student said loud enough for the whole crowd to hear. "Today we have television, jet planes, space travel, man has walked on the Moon, our spaceships have visited Mars, we even have nuclear energy, electric and hydrogen cars, computers with light-speed processing .... and .uh.."

Taking advantage of a pause in the student's litany, the old gentleman said, "You're right. We didn't have those things when we were young; so we invented them, you little twit! What the hell are you doing for the next generation??"
(I love senior citizens)

Deep down I was hoping that the senior citizen aslo added.......GO BLUE!

:dazzler1:

drbill:
Baltimoron- I was using the Internet well before it went commercial (in the early 80's). It was so much better back then in terms of speed (and often content as well). How do you figure it is so "us?" It seems that much of it was developed by us old farts who actually went to school. The next generation seems to use it as a reality substitute... we know the difference!

Them's not meant to be fighting words though.

Dr. Bill

I was always under the impression that our generation really took the internet and ran with it. I could always be wrong, though. As to the schooling issue, how do you figure our generation is unschooled? I am getting lost. I know that now a lot of the older workers are disgruntled that many executives are heading companies right out of college. Now this has a good and a bad, sometimes I think it is unfair that we get picked over more experienced workers, but I think that's the way it is.

Hmm... I don't really know what I am getting into here, should I just hit the brakes now?

baltimoron:
I could always be wrong, though. Hmm... I don't really know what I am getting into here, should I just hit the brakes now?

Yes, and not always wrong. You were right at least twice IMOO. :wink:

Baltimoron- your response to my post shows some good sense, so no need to hit the brakes.

I taught at high school and university level for a number of years. I was disappointed by the lack of commitment to education that many of my students, especially those of your generation, showed. My memory may be a bit distorted, but I don't remember such a lack of commitment when I was in school. However, my statement was a gross generalization and therefore unfair. As for being "unschooled," that doesn't necessarily mean not attending college.

The current generation is in no position to be assessed for their accomplishments. That time will come in a few decades, after they've had their chance at leading this country (and others). I hope for good things.

Dr. Bill

Unless there is a total demise of our society, mankind will always prevail and make a brighter future. Not one generation can take credit for all we have or have developed.
This credit is given throughout time, and there will be more credit in the future.

the funny thing about this thread is until about a week ago, I thought Baltimoron WAS an old fart.. then for some reason I checked his profile and found out he is still a puppy..

cancun mark:
the funny thing about this thread is until about a week ago, I thought Baltimoron WAS an old fart.. then for some reason I checked his profile and found out he is still a puppy..

hmm... I don't know if that's a compliment or a curse... :eyebrow: :D

Dr. Bill, I don't know what school you were teching at but unless I am mistaken, I don't think it was an inner city school like the one I attend. Some statistics, of you will: 65% of the people that attend my school are on foodstamps/reduced lunch programs. My school has a group of the lowest income families in Baltimore. My friends go home to houses where their parents are drug addicts, or some people don't even have parents at all. With all of this, there is a 94% attendance rate. 100% of seniors graduate, 96% go on to colleges, 2% go to the military. One third of all enrolled students are taking Advanced Studies Classes, whether it be Advanced Placement Program or International Bacchalaureate Program. Time to party? No! Time to get stoned? No! Time to be in a gang? No! Time to get stabbed on the streets? No! You want to know why? The common answer is, "I have to time for that ****, I have to study so I can go to college and become a doctor/lawyer/CEO/polititian..." My friends are the most motivated people I know. I don't know what school you were teaching at, but your school definately does not fit the description of mine.

Now if they would give us adaquate money.... also, most of the Students you see protesting outside the State Board of Education are graduates or attendees of my school.

our school motto? Palmam Qui Meruit Ferat . "Honour to one who earns it." Fitting, no?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom