New Halcyon knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericfine50:
Broco Torchs for all! I say!!
Just don't look at the light.

ye cheers "Meng_Tze" for explaining to me about the snag issues of deployment, my bad, makes total sense. :], will consider just carrying shears as a safe back up. Makes sense if you are going to lose equipment it may as well be a cheapy item.

In regards to the Scubapro K3 knife. I noticed this thing wasn't at all sharp when I saw one, neither the blade nor the line cutter. The serrated edge was very good though. I'd suggest you seriously sharpen this knife before use, if you intend to use it :).

verybaddiver:
will consider just carrying shears as a safe back up
Well, this is exactly what DIR isn't about: introducing a problem that doesn't exist (knife on the cord) and trying to solve it with another piece of equipment (shears).

However, having backup cutting device by itself is not bad: shears properly stored in left pocket. And than loosing cheap knife shouldn't be such problem.

But lets get back to the bungee around the sheath. Is that DIR? I wouldn't think so, but it looks like most of the discussion above was on the knife tied to a cord.

Me? I will wait until I lose my first knife, then I will attempt to put some innertube around the handle to give it more friction in the sheath. Then I will wait again. At that point, depending on how long it was, I will probably just redo the second option.

Chris

cmalinowski:
But lets get back to the bungee around the sheath. Is that DIR? I wouldn't think so, but it looks like most of the discussion above was on the knife tied to a cord......

Chris
Chris,
Can you elaborate why a tight bungee around the sheath would not be DIR? I see no snagging issue there and if the knife can be pulled in one go..... there is no issue???

Meng_Tze:
Chris,
Can you elaborate why a tight bungee around the sheath would not be DIR? I see no snagging issue there and if the knife can be pulled in one go..... there is no issue???
I really was asking the question. I am not sure. I would think that the bungee could get caught on a piece of the wreck or something. I guess if it's not attached you may be right. For some reason I had it attached to the sheath in my head.

Chris

cmalinowski:
I really was asking the question. I am not sure. I would think that the bungee could get caught on a piece of the wreck or something. I guess if it's not attached you may be right. For some reason I had it attached to the sheath in my head.

Chris
If the bungee could get snagged, the knife handle would probably also catch something..... (and maybe the belt buckle and all the stuff that is attached to the body) and you would have to be VERY close to that piece of wreck (like less than one inch) to get the knife/bungee snag. If one is THAT close to a wreck, they have a bigger issue than snagging a piece of equipment. Think of a drysuit tear, a wetsuit tear, physical injury, etc, etc. Not to speak of environmental awareness.

But that is outside of the question at hand.

Sorry chiming in a little late...

verybaddiver - you WEREN'T being sarcastic when you made your original post?!? Good grief... glad that was put to bed.

If you drop knife, your backup is on your partner. I like carrying EMT shears in my thigh pocket, obviously not as accessible as my knife at my crotch strap.

My Omersub flat knive (similar to the scubapro) came with a soft webbing type sheath with a flap. The knife slips into the sheath and the flap covers the flat handle, secures with velcro (don't like just the velcro, but the sheath is a good fit to the blade). Webbing belt loop on the back barely allows me to slip my SS buckle through. This type of sheath seems easy enough to assemble with some leftover webbing and some creative sewing...

Using bungee to secure a plastic sheath seems good idea, but how would you secure the bungee to the sheath? I'm thinking along the lines of a short bungee tied to form a ring, figure "8" around the top of the sheath and bottom w/crossing point creating the belt loop against the diver's waist. Since the tip of the sheath is tapered, it would be easy for the bottom loop to slip out when you "giant stride" off a boat, for instance. If you make the bungee too tight, it would difficult to remove from the belt... but I guess that would be the only option. I'm not talking about 6-10" bladed knife with a full handle... that would be a pain (literally) up front near the crotch strap.

Hey gang,

Here is another "H" knife project. I don't sew it yet though....
How is it?

I mean "Hoosier" knife, not "Halcyon." LOL~~~

DSCN1901.JPG

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom