New-ish restaurant el volando

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMM

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We tried a new-ish restaurant that is, quite literally, around the corner from our house. It is an Argentinian steak house. A handful of tables indoors and 3 outdoors. The owner/server told me they (husband is the chef) opened about a year ago and that they go to the mainland once a week to get their delicious beef. We shared a couple of emanadas and grilled short ribs. Came with mashed potatoes, grilled corn and a salad. Along with 3 glasses of
IMG_20220130_190109133.jpg
their best cab, came to just over $1000 pesos before tip. Ave. 20, about 1 1/2 blocks south of 11. Give it a try. You won't be sorry.

If Google maps is correct, it shows the place at 20 Av. Sur 981, Gonzalo Guerrero, 77600 San Miguel de Cozumel, 580 meters from Melgar, open 5-11 Wednesday thru Saturday. If not, let me know, and I'll submit a correction.

If Google maps is correct, it shows the place at 20 Av. Sur 981, Gonzalo Guerrero, 77600 San Miguel de Cozumel, 580 meters from Melgar, open 5-11 Wednesday thru Saturday. If not, let me know, and I'll submit a correction.
I haven't measured the distance from Melgar, but it is 4 blocks. I have no idea what Gonzalo Guerrero is. It is open Sundays as we ate there last night. But that stuff changes all the time. Their Facebook page is correct.

I haven't measured the distance from Melgar, but it is 4 blocks. I have no idea what Gonzalo Guerrero is. It is open Sundays as we ate there last night. But that stuff changes all the time. Their Facebook page is correct.
Yeah, Ave 20 is 4 blocks. I always check the ground distance to see if I would walk it. Gonzalo Guerrero (also known as Gonzalo Marinero, Gonzalo de Aroca and Gonzalo de Aroza) was a sailor from Palos, in Spain who was shipwrecked along the Yucatán Peninsula and was taken as a slave by the local Maya. Earning his freedom, Guerrero became a respected warrior under a Maya lord and raised three of the first mestizo children in Mexico and presumably the first mixed children of the mainland Americas. Google maps show the neighborhood from Andres to 23 Sur and from Melgar to 30 Ave named for him, but I can't speak to the validity. I also wonder why they chose their restaurant name as it translates as flown or fool.

Their FB page shows them open Sundays 9am to 5 pm, then 5:30-10pm and 5-10pm Wednesday to Saturday. I'll edit google maps.

Am I getting it right? "El Volado"? If so, google shows a much different building/entrance.

This is a Google image from July of 2017.

Attachments

• El Volado.jpg
    El Volado.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 41
This is a Google image from July of 2017.
Google maps has two listings - one for El Volado - Snack Bar and one for Volado Steakhouse at the same location. I requested a merge.

Back
Top Bottom