new jersey wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently got certified, and plan to eventually dive NJ wrecks, since I am from NJ. I just bought a 7mm farmer john for the quarry. Will that be ok for NJ diving?

2 Bar once bubbled...
I recently got certified, and plan to eventually dive NJ wrecks, since I am from NJ. I just bought a 7mm farmer john for the quarry. Will that be ok for NJ diving?

A 7mm wetsuit should be fine diving in NJ between May and October...maybe even November if you are daring.

wrekdiver2 once bubbled...

If I may ask, which diveboat did you go out on?

Granted, there are bad days (vis, seas, etc...) out on the ocean, but a good majority of the days are phenomenal. I have the pics to prove it, both above and below the water.

As for ralphing for 24 hours after getting off the boat? I've never heard of that. Maybe you had a reaction to the patch. I don't take any medicine anymore after it made me sick as a dog.

I would hope you give NJ diving another try!
I went out that particular day on the Dina Dee, a nice boat with a competent captain and crew. Actually, the crew was more than competent, they were outstanding. From what I can remember, anyway. :eek:ut: In fact, I tipped them for helping me out so much, and because I dented the floor of the boat with my tank when I passed out. Oops.
I know ;-0 there is great diving to be had in NJ! I may try again, but this time I will try a wreck that's a bit closer to shore. The day I describe, we went out to the Stolt, about 2 hours offshore. I was fine for the first hour and 55 minutes, but that was the limit of that patch.
By the way, I was so sick afterward cause I was really dehydrated, it took me a while to figure that out. Plus, I am such a delicate flower. :D
The patch works for me, but it has limits. I am still undecided about what to do when I go on the Blackbeard cruise in Nov--patch, or pills. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I will probably end up being a puker no matter what I do.

SueMermaid once bubbled...

I went out that particular day on the Dina Dee, a nice boat with a competent captain and crew. Actually, the crew was more than competent, they were outstanding. From what I can remember, anyway.

Sue,

Thanks for the compliments (I crew on the Dina Dee). I am out on the boat most weekends but I definitely don't remember your predicament.

Like I said, there are good days and bad days....I just got back from a trip today and the seas were so-so. The vis was decent on the Pinta and the bottom temp was a delightful 64F. A trip out to the Stolt can be a bit long, but that wreck is worth the ride. How were the seas that day? I've actually seen people get sick on the calmest of days.

If the patch works for you, I'd suggest watch what you eat (nothing like taco bell sloshing around your stomach) before leaving the dock and get enough sleep the night before. I have never gotten sick on a boat (knock on wood). I've been close several times, but usually I can trace it back to something greasy or acidic that I ate or if I didn't get enough sleep.

Hopefully you give it another shot this season, if not next year.

Not to scare you, but if you think the ride to the Stolt was bad? try riding around a whole week with Blackbeards! think positive and try and enjoy the trip anyways. Bring both patch and pills (just in case).

Let us know how you make out on your trip!

p.s. Where is that dent in the deck, I'll probably have to patch it this winter.

This all happened two years ago (or was it three? You have to forgive me, I am getting dotty in my old age), have you been on the Dina Dee that long? Don't you have pukers all the time or is that unusual? Is everyone but me smart enough to know whether they will be ok or not? I s'pose I should have known better. :)
The dent happened right on the main deck part toward the stern, right in front (aft) of that pit where you put extra tanks. Nobody seemed to care or even think much about it, they were really nice. The captain even posed with me for a post-barf photo once we got back. Whatta guy.
The seas were so-so, they said, I think they were about 4'? It's so hard to say. I was not looking around much. It wasn't glassy and it wasn't horrible. Like you said, it probably wouldn't have mattered much!
What you say about food is very good advice. Er, now I am scared about this Blackbeard cruise I am going on. They said the only rough part is the crossing. I will get my sealegs in about 2 days, but I am almost expecting to be miserable before then.

SueMermaid once bubbled...
This all happened two years ago.....

Sue,

Two years ago? I doubt even I'd remember that one. Yes, there are daily occurrences of pukers, ralphers, yackers, chummers, etc....I think there was one guy today from Hoboken that was feeding the sea gulls...either that or he had his head in the water and he was yelling down to the people already underwater....

I've been crewing with the Dina Dee since 95. Been diving on the boat since '91. Chances are, if it happens on a dive boat, I've seen it.

That dent is probably long gone. We are always fixing this and patching that....so don't worry about it!

The worse mistake I see with taking seasick medicine is people take it the morning of the dive. By that time, I think its already too late. Taking a pill in the AM and getting sick and puking it back up before it takes effect will not help one bit. One needs to take it the night before to get it in your system. I'm not sure how that patch works, but you aren't the only one that patch has let down.

As for food? Any type of greasy food usually does people in. Orange juice might as well be battery acid after rolling around your stomach.

I'm sure your trip will be fine. I have a story about Blackbeards, but I'll keep it to myself for now.

Take care...

I can feel for you...I have been a bit green earlier in my diving career. You might want to think about some of the inshore wrecks that do not require the one hour plus rides. There are several nice wrecks in the 60-70 foot range that the local boats hit often.

I tried some of the over the counter medications and never found them to my liking. Dramimine always caused droziness several hours after I got off the boat.

I now take ginger pills and eat ginger snaps under way and always feel great. Also, stay away from acids such as orange juice, etc.

Give it another try, I'm sure you'll come around.

Do not worry. Our folks went out this weekend (yes, the Hoboken crowd) and aparently 8 dove, 6 fed the fishies. From my past job, our general recommendations were:
- for medication take 1 pill the night before and another about 1 hour before going on the boat.
- avoid all greasy foods and fruit!!! that includes fruit juice.
- watch solid land for as long as possible and bring some dryish food for the surface interval (crackers and water seem to be foods of choice)
I also take a form of dramamine which is for pregnant women because it does not make you drowsy!! Chatting with fellow divers is the best way to keep you focused on something else.
Hope that helps!

I get sick on the Ferry from jersey city to downtown... I take a less-drowsy dramamine the night before than another in the AM. I've only puked once using that regiment and if I hadnt, I would have been the only one! :eek:

Its taken me a while to get used to the Jersey stuff - after about 75 dives in the "green stuff" I actually like it. Especially this time of year now that its so warm!!!

Sorry for the late dive report....

Saturday was very sloppy, but the Pinta had a nice 30-40' of vis. Bottom temps are still in the mid 60's at depth.

Sunday was a bit nicer and we hit the Pinta (again) and had about 25' of vis and 64F on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom