New Lionfish Eradication Effort in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

African or European Swallow?

I was in GC this past November and on a dive with Eden Rock we spotted a Lion Fish and on our next dive the dive master and I captured it - they are doing a great job of keeping the water clear of them, they said that was the first they saw in about 3 months.

they are doing a great job of keeping the water clear of them, they said that was the first they saw in about 3 months.
Probably so for the waters frequently dived, but for the miles of coastline seldom dived and for deeper water it is almost certainly a different story.

African or European Swallow?

Huh? I.... I don't know that! AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa.....!

On a serious note, while it is good to try and wage the battle against the lionfish, I fear it is only prolonging the inevitable. Eventually, the ecosystem will have to adjust as, hopefully, other fish learn to prey on them.

So, I wonder, do the locals view wealthy foreigners who buy up property and push property prices up to unaffordable levels the same as divers and ecologists view the lionfish invasion?? :wink:

DS

On a serious note, while it is good to try and wage the battle against the lionfish, I fear it is only prolonging the inevitable. Eventually, the ecosystem will have to adjust as, hopefully, other fish learn to prey on them.

So, I wonder, do the locals view wealthy foreigners who buy up property and push property prices up to unaffordable levels the same as divers and ecologists view the lionfish invasion?? :wink:

DS

rofl! buy enough property and you can be a local yourself :p

DS
Who do you think the wealthy foreigners are buying this property from at unaffordable levels? Most locals are quite happy to sell a piece of their birthrights if the price is right.

As far as the Lionfish go I believe most people are aware that we will never be able to eradicate them but hopefully we can slow their population growth down enough to help nature right the imbalance itself.

CJ

Scubatigress and CJ's,

Good points!

And yes, hopefully we can slow the spread enough so the predators on the reef can develop a taste for lionfish.
DS

Back
Top Bottom