New name for "DIR"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Way too late. I'm afraid the name, and the battles it generates, is here to stay.

I agree, more or less, with your thinking though.

Tom

Iguana Don once bubbled...
Why do people get so upset at a Marketing Slogan.

Don't we have more important things to worry about.

Geeze, if DIR gets under your skin, I would hate to see what something really screwy does to you.

Just my .02
It doesn't matter why. Anyone who looks can see it's a "hot button," and gets under lots of people's skin. All it takes is a few jerks with an "I'm doing it right, and you're doing it wrong" attitude - and if you haven't met 'em, just take a look at the little video we recently saw here on this board. Your call for calmness falls on deaf ears when directed at anyone who's been subjected to some of the typical DIR invective spewed from some of its more vocal proponents. So let's turn the question around... Why do you defend such an obnoxious marketing slogan if it isn't worthy of "importance?" Hmmm???
The first rule of effective communication is "The message recieved is the message." And the message of "DIR" is loud and clear, despite the protestations to the contrary.
Don't you have more important things to worry about? Dump "DIR."
Rick

Simple
Holistic
Integrated
Technique

~or~

Basic
Immersion
Technique
Centrally
Hogarthian

Those would look good on a T-shirt...

O-ring once bubbled...
Simple
Holistic
Integrated
Technique

~or~

Basic
Immersion
Technique
Centrally
Hogarthian

Those would look good on a T-shirt...

from a GUE guy at that! Great Eric!

Tom

As*hole
Submersion
System

~ or ~

Narrowminded
Anal
Zealots
In
Scuba

~ or ~

George's
Overbearing
Disciples

or keep the original acronym:

Dive
Inspiration
Rebreathers!

Disregard
Individual
Rights

Dissension
Isn't
Right

Diversity
Is
Resistance

Damn
Intolerant
Religion

LOL.

I can almost guaruntee that the moniker "Doing It Right" was picked with full knowledge of how it would get under people's skins.

I therefore don't see it changing :wink:

jeff

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

It doesn't matter why. Anyone who looks can see it's a "hot button," and gets under lots of people's skin. All it takes is a few jerks with an "I'm doing it right, and you're doing it wrong" attitude - and if you haven't met 'em, just take a look at the little video we recently saw here on this board. Your call for calmness falls on deaf ears when directed at anyone who's been subjected to some of the typical DIR invective spewed from some of its more vocal proponents. So let's turn the question around... Why do you defend such an obnoxious marketing slogan if it isn't worthy of "importance?" Hmmm???
The first rule of effective communication is "The message recieved is the message." And the message of "DIR" is loud and clear, despite the protestations to the contrary.
Don't you have more important things to worry about? Dump "DIR."
Rick

My take is that people take so many potshots at GUE or DIR because GUE has set a very high standard for themself, and established themselves as a leader. Anyone at the top gets a lot of exposure and potshots from those below.

If it was DIB or anything else it would be getting the same heat, if GI was not around, it would be getting the same heat.

Why does'nt anyone get upset at DiveRite?
There is a picture of the "correct" technical diver on the OMS website, why does'nt anyone get upset there?

No one else has come up with a complete diving system from gear to standards to ways to handle situations. It is easy to hit them because they are very on record with what they think is best.

Tommy

"Dump DIR", Rick, that ain't in the cards. So the best thing for people to do is just deal with it and quit loosing sleep over it.

Ya know, I can't stand Dodge Trucks, but when they came out with their "New Mayor of Truckville" slogan, I didn't start an all out hate campaign against Dodge Trucks. I just still hate them as much as ever, and haven't lost a night's sleep yet.

"Defend it," no, I am not defending it, just can't understand why everybody lets it ruin their day by just mentioning it.

Ya know, I can't stand Dodge Trucks, but when they came out with their "New Mayor of Truckville" slogan, I didn't start an all out hate campaign against Dodge Trucks. I just still hate them as much as ever, and haven't lost a night's sleep yet.

With all due respect, I don't think this is an analagous situation. DIR, as a moniker, is far more than a slogan. It is an identity which inherently implies that if you are not a DIR diver, you are not doing it right and you are not diving safely.

In my mind it's the difference between seeing someone with a Harvard t-shirt on, and having that same someone with the t-shirt believe that if you are not educated at Harvard, you are simply an uneducated individual. The first is tolerable and merely represents an advertisement - the second is bound to create a certain amount of controversy.

"Dump DIR", Rick, that ain't in the cards.

I completely agree with you and I don't think they should. In fact, I don't believe the name is truly the issue. In my mind, the bothersome element of DIR is the blatant bi-polar nature of it all. DIR's left hand tries to convince us that DIR is indeed the one and only way for all of us to dive while the right hand of DIR carries on like an elitist, telling us that we will never pass DIR-F.

It's a bit like our earlier Harvard student who desperately seeks to convince you that Harvard is the only place to go and then reassures you that you could never get in to a school like that.

Just one observer's opinion.

P.S. - For the record and before the flames start, I want to make it clear, I personally happen to like a lot of the things I see in DIR. While I am certainly not a DIR diver, I certainly could see myself moving in that direction. It's not the actual philosophy of DIR that I (and I believe many other divers) question: it's the way in which the debate proceeds that can be a bit irksome.

Geeze Tommy,

You really don't get it do you?:confused:

Read your own post;

"anyone at the top"

"those below"

THAT is THE problem - not DIR - not the techniqes - not the gear.

Just the pervasive sense of total superiority - so pervasive you dont even know you are doing it.

Get things in perspective - we are all nothing more than VERY small steps on the road. There have never been any final 'final solutions'. There have never been any 'ultimate truths'. Those who proclaim them definitely risk ridicule and isolation - very sad when DIR actually offers so much.

Graham

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom