New name for "DIR"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't know that a forward facing mask was "distress signal", but I always associated this with new, "near panicky" divers at the surface, just from my observations.

I wasn't taught that in my NASTY training, but whenever I see someone with their mask on top of their head offshore, I've assumed they were having some sort of problem.

Now, it makes sense to me, but I think I'll keep my mask on my face or around my neck when at the surface.

When I try the bungeed second stage setup, I might have to go to the backwards mask technique. But, I dont want anyone thinking that I'm trying to look like Sheck Exley. (with the pink slap strap and the yellow AL80, I don't think they will.)

Thanks for the info!

It is the PADI party line though so you'll have to teach it.

I ordered my first fin pivot last weekend...never thought I would use that hand signal again...

On the upside, it was really fun working with students.

O-ring once bubbled...

Only heard it in PADI...guess I should stay away from stroke training, eh?

:wink:
Just can't resist, can ye?
Rick

Just can't resist, can ye?

By now we know each other's sense of humor...and I take PADI classes too, so I can talk...albeit a little :)

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
...but for the Don Quixote crowd it is irresistible.

Good analogy Pug. You know, there's too many windmills in the world.........

O-ring once bubbled...

I ordered my first fin pivot last weekend...never thought I would use that hand signal again...

On the upside, it was really fun working with students.

It's fun for awhile. I got burned out on it but some folks keep their enthusiasm for teaching forever.

Tom

Rockhound once bubbled...
My question: Just what is it with the backwards mask thing? I never wear my mask on my head for obvious reasons, and I rarely take if off in the water unless I have a serious booger accumulation, but these guys all had their masks on top of their heads but facing the wrong way.

I almost always have my mask on backwards [in fact I occasionally forget to put it on before I decend, but that makes for nice mask clearing training :)]

Why? First, the mask on my face limits my range of vision as I double check my rig, keep an eye out on everyone as we're grouping up. Around my neck it limits my motion. On my forehead is both uncomfortable, and it causes the mask to be more apt to fog up... [no mask/goggles on forehead is something that came with me from many years skiing].

So the choice is hang it off something, or stick it where it's supposed to be, just backwards [which is how I wear my ski goggles anyway, so I'm used to it].

The name will remain!
When it comes to business, there are two men that I really admire, Bill Gates and Jarrod Jablonski. Both had the foresight, no, the genius, to identify a significant market opportunity that was all but ignored and unseen by all others. Both have been able to approach the market in such a way as to make significant competition by others difficult. I may not have worded that well so I’ll give an example. It is not difficult to write an operating system but if it can’t run all the MS software nobody will buy it no matter how good it could be. You may have learned proper trim, fining technique and team diving skills but it doesn’t carry the same weight unless you learned it from GUE. I guess the word I’m looking for is “branding”. The term “DIR” along with the arguments and insults are a huge part of what sells the product. Jarrod Jablonski is one of the rare few that have been able to make diving profitable.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom