New PADI c-card available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for my PADI Gear Recovery Diver Specialty Badge...:wink:

Oh...question in the back...

but Brian...is it a badge from Padi for recovering gear or a badge from someone else for recovering Padi diver's gear...:confused:

I can't tell...

before this turns into another Padi bashing thread, I want to defend and also get my few kicks in at the same time.

I think that it is a great idea for developing beneficial courses which benefit local divers, or giving out a lot of background information on any said specialty topic. Underwater hunter is a great one, in my area we have an instructor who is very interested and knowledgeable about the subject and wants to pass on the proper techniques to students - as well as where to obtain proper documentation of fishery openings and closures. As there is an interest here, hopefully soon we will have this course offered. (In my opinion that uw cartographer could be a course which is really beneficial to some divers wanting to complement a university degree).

On the other hand, there are some specialties which must be given to a crackhead at PADI HQ (or any other agency HQ) as they are so far-fetched, I don't know how people would PAY to take it, never mind how it ever got approved - exs: This MBS s%^&, Bottle Collecting Diver, Underwater Wedding Diver, etc.

What really gets me, is that these can only result in two things (in my mind):
1) the customer has WAY too much money if he spends it on these courses
2) the instructor has WAY too much money if he makes this course without any significant customer base to warrant his expenditure of time and money into designing the course.

Last of all, this is not limited to PADI at all. Character diving is a NAUI specialty (originally), although now I'm sure PADI and other agency instructors have put in outlines to teach it also.

radagalf once bubbled...
Last of all, this is not limited to PADI at all. Character diving is a NAUI specialty (originally), although now I'm sure PADI and other agency instructors have put in outlines to teach it also.

Can you really take a course to learn how to dive in one of those suits? Now that would be too funny to show-up for a dive wearing one of those.

yes you can. I think it is more or less specific to Walt Disney theme parks though. (I'm sure other theme parks as well... )

Its disturbing isn't it???

bwerb once bubbled...

Can you really take a course to learn how to dive in one of those suits? Now that would be too funny to show-up for a dive wearing one of those.

I read an article about it in a magazine (can't remember which one). But it went into some detail on why extra training was needed to safely dive in these huge character costumes and what they did to keep these divers safe.

I know one of the biggest challenges was that since the divers head was completely covered....things like mask clearing was done differently, also reg retrival was more challening.

Peace,
Cathie

I know for a fact that PADI has an Underwater Pumpkin Carving C-Card. My LDS does this (for fun) every year for Halloween. They have a contest @ the lake complete with a chili cookoff, etc. You don't have to get the specialty to win but if you want the card it's $25.00. I do not have one. Check out page 3 and 4 http://internationalscuba.com/newsletters/pdf/isnews1009.pdf

What's funnier is resurecting a thread from 2003 to post a link to a newsletter from 2009!

:D

Now that is funny.

cmulvaney, I'm curious. What was the process that took you to looking at that old thread and then needing to post into it?

@ Dalec: I was looking up the New PADI e-card and fat-fingered the keyboard and the search returned New PADI c-card available.
What is funny about the newsletter is that it was the 4th year they were doing it and giving a card for it. They seem to have a lot of fun with it. About the new E-Card, I feel it is a ripoff to sell you each cert card @ full price for a jpg of your card. I just keep a pic of them on my phone and carry the real one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom