New PADI OW Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before you go out an invest in new gear, try attaching trim weights to your shoulders. Below is a post that explains how to do it. To make it even easier, I've found that you can go to Walmart and buy Goody hairbands (the long ones, not the pony tail ones). Knot a little loop in one end (I like to do this where it's glued together); the knot will serve the same purpose as the double fisherman's knot in the explanation below.

Very nice Quero. This may do the trick.
Dale

Welcome to diving! You have certainly come to the right place for advice! I hope you'll soon see that one size does not fit all in diving! What works for one person, may not work for you. What is so great about ScubaBoard is that people can share their creative solutions to common problems. What you need to do is to decide what will work best for you. Play around with changing up your weight configuration or trying out a different BCD. The way you set up your gear in your dive class is not permanent. I don't dive the same way I did 10 years ago, or even last year for that matter. I am always trying out different things to improve.

If you are going to dive often, I think that most will agree that having your own dive equipment is a good idea. However, running out and buying the only equipment that your LDS has without trying out other options is not the best idea. Did you learn to dive with a jacket style or a back inflate BCD? Maybe a back plate and wing will work better? Maybe weight integrated will solve your problem or maybe not. What I'm saying is you need to try it out. A good LDS will have some demo units available to try. Or find one with a good return policy. (for example: Force-E has a 30 day exchange policy. If you use it and don't like it, then trade it in for something else.) Also, several manufacturers have a 30 day satisfaction on their products too. I know that Aqua Lung has such a program, but double check that the dive shop will honor it before you buy.

Finally, when you are out for a dive with other people, take a look around. If you see an interesting gear configuration, ask them about it. Don't be shy about it. Divers love talking about gear!

DALE TRY ADDING A COUPLE OF POUNEDS THET SHOULD take care of you having to dive with your lungs somewhat empty. and when you go to fresh water youare going to become possibly 10 heavy so keep that in mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom