New Quarry in Michigan??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tiny Bubbles:
Is this it?
I'm sure the vis will improve over time, if they just stopped dumping dirt in there.
I can't tell from the photo but have driven around it completely. I have not been to the water's edge either. I do recall seeing an island out there and at least a 30' giant stride into the water. The dive shop that is making all the claims is very close to my house and as such I have been hearing bits and pieces for a while. The promise of this quarry is great for me. They have said it will end up in excess of 140' deep when it is done filling and the shop has mentioned an air fill station there as well. I find myself liking what I hear from them less and less all the time. Their last mailer mentioned that vis had doubled. Only under direct questioning did they reveal that this is from 3" to 6". If the quarry doesn't clear up significantly they won't be opening it to the public and with all of the fill dirt and vegetation dumped there in the last couple of years I don't believe that it is likely.

Tiny Bubbles:
Is this it?
I'm sure the vis will improve over time, if they just stopped dumping dirt in there.

Yes, that's it.

I work in Monroe, and have been by this quarry many times.

There are a lot of problems with this spot, and many reasons why it would not be suitable for a dive outfit.

1. The developer who is building houses around the quarry had to remove a LOT of trees and other brush from the landscape which surrounded the quarry. Instead of recycling this material, it was dumped into the quarry. This has resulted in the present siltout which may last for several years/decades.

2. The loss of trees around the quarry will result in increased errosion around the quarry. As you can see from the satellite photo, the boundaries of the quarry are very close to major roads. It might take a few hundred years, but this errosion is going to impact the community greatly, and will have to be dealt with one way or another.

3. There is little space for parking/equipment setup/etc. There are residential neighborhoods on all sides. There leaves little to no dry land that could be used.

It would be nice to have a dive site within 15 min of my home. However, this one will probably never pan out.

I have a friend at work that lives around there. He said that quarry used to be the local "party pit" and there were broken beer bottles all over the place. There may still be broken glass left there from the 1970's.

Anyone heard anything more about the new quarry?

I found this photo of the place when it was empty. I don't know how old the photo is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom