New... question about womens bc's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a kinda personal question for you - how tall/big is your wife? I purchased a WTX before starting my cave course, and absolutely hated it by the end of the course. I think the smallest size available at that time was medium (which may or may not still be the case), and me being not so tall (5'2") and not so large (not telling), I ended up with flapping bits of webbing having to be tucked in all over the place, and the adjustment points so close together after being shortened up all the way, that I felt like I was wearing a bunch of buckles and not an actual harness.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice piece of equipment, it just doesn't fit small people very well (unless it's available smaller now). I've replaced it with a plain old webbing harness and backplate.

Now I know that friends don't let friends buy jacket-style BC's, but if you are going to buy one, my beaten up old original Diva does in fact perform and fit a woman as advertised, and I still dust it off occasionally for single-tank dives, and I still like it. I imagine the model has evolved and improved since then.

But if I had it all to do over, I'd go straight to the wing.

My lovely bride is just 5' 2" as well but not a waif. I will say that the main straps had to be shortened a bit to fit her frame. She also had a Diva but loves the WTX Harness!:wink:

I had never dove with a womans bc...I loved my scubapro stab jacket...but it was old...I tried on a womens BC , the Libra back inflation and fell in love...it is a great BC...The shop I work out of now wants the DM's to use what they sell on the floor so I just got the Scuba Pro Ladyhawk .,,my husband uses the scubapro knight hawk and loves it...I can't say how I like the ladyhawk because I was injury and havent been able to dive or use the new BC yet...but I will be selling the Libra with its air II system...

this system is very stable..it allow pockets in the front I like also It allows me to divided my weight to half on my bc supported by my shoulders and half on my waist which protects my lower back...

I have seen the halcon back plate...it is very popular with the tech divers...I do not find it comfortable for rec diving...if you think this is the system you may like try it first...the libra and ladyhawk which are both back inflates eliminat any front restrictions just link the halcyon back plate...they just allow the intagrated weights

Last edited:
I'm going to second Doc Intrepid's recommendation of a backplate and wing system. There are a bunch of nice features for women: First off, there's nothing across your chest. Second, the fit can be infinitely customized, which is great if you're a woman outside of the standard size ranges that men run! With the addition of sized backplates, like the ones Deep Sea Supply offers, you can really put a BP/W system together so it fits and feels comfortable to YOU.

The fact that the systems are modular, so you can use one wing for cold water diving and another for warm, is an additional plus. And the tank stays absolutely stable on your back, which was a big help to me when I was a new diver. (It's still more comfortable that way!)

I dive a Zeagle Zena. Love that it's modular in design, thus you can get a custom fit. You can also switch the wing out for cold or warm water diving. It's basically a corset with a wing.

The one thing I feel VERY strongly about when choosing a BC is make sure you try as many as you possibly can. The "perfect" BC for me isn't necessarily the right one for you, and vice versa. That would include a BP/W system, which I have tried and didn't like....but many people DO like them. So PLEASE try before you decide.

I have tried several types of BC's over my years of diving, and I keep going back to the jacket-style. Maybe because that's I just have not found the right back-mount yet. :wink:

Anyways, I am curently diving with a Dacor Talon in mens XL. I'm 5'6", 250 lbs, and have plenty of chest. The length is shortened almost all the way down as I am extremely short-waisted, but having the weights integrated makes it quite comfortable, and there is lots of nice padding.

I would LOVE to try a ladies BC, but the largest sizes are still way, way too small. If I could find a women's BC for a size 22, I would sure try it!

Hope you find a BC that you absolutely love!

Wendy

My first bc was a Tusa jacket style which was comfy for many years, but I wanted more streamline in the water. I'm a big fan of my Dive Rite Transpac & Venture Wing. They come in several sizes so being 5'1" I have the small with the shortest plate. It is well padded and comfy, yet small and transportable for travel, and very adaptable to different kinds of diving...and it comes in colors too - mine is blue..:D When I got it I was in warm water, but now I am a bit heavier and in cold water and have been able to let it out to fit over the extra thick wetsuit and the tummy :shakehead:.

Visit as many LDS as possible and try on as many different BCs as you can before you decide. There are now many good comfy BCs specifically sized & shaped for women and the backplates of the BP/W set ups now come in more sizes/options to accomodate women. Good luck with your decision. You will dive more comfortably and confidently and hopefully more often in your own gear.

I agree with Doc Intrepid, DiveSeekersJason, and TSandM. It's totally without frills, allows adjustability. Not only in fit, but what you can add to it. And my personal, "yeah!" moment... it does NOT shift around on your body. When you move the harness/bp moves with you.

I have a Sherwood Luna and bought it primarily for the fit. It's a jacket BC with lots of room if you're well endowed in the chest area. Don't find it confining at all. Have been using it for 5 years with no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom