New... question about womens bc's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've tried a Cressi Lady Jac, and it's pretty good. It's back inflated, has integrated weight system, is fashinable (yeah, sometimes it's also an issue...hee hee).

But I have a Seac Sub Icaro Tech and, althoug it's not designed specifically for women, it's rather confy and light - which I find wonderful, given that I'm not tall or strong.

As already said, it's a personal choice and you might not want to stick with women-design-only BCs.

Happy BC shopping!

I dove over 30 yrs in "unisex" jacket style BC's..(that was all that you could get for many years) I finally broke down and got a woman's BC...I would never get a men's or unisex again...the difference in the cut to fit a womans form is like night and day...

I own both the seaquest Libra and the Scuba Pro Ladyhawk,,both are back inflation and I love both..

I just got my Mares Kaila after it was determined that my ancient BCD was leaking.

Gotta say, wow! Now I'm not sure if its because my old BCD was almost older than I am, or if it's because I finally got one that fit me, or what, but my ribs aren't as sore after diving. My sternum doesn't hurt for days after with each breath I take, and I'm not gasping for air at the surface anymore because the BCD inflates away from my body instead of into it. Sales staff at a sporting goods store explained its designed similar to hiking backpacks where it slides??? Not sure what it means just know that it's much better than being compressed like a balloon toy every time I inflate the BCD!

Only problem I've had with it is the weight pockets that I thought I'd love, I lost one on my very first dive with it, the dive was even aborted cause my dive buddy didn't have enough weight and then I managed to hurt my arm and they thought it was broken.

Sorry this is a very late posting, just joined up and figured it'd help anyone else out there looking at female BCD's

Before I started Diving a back plate with a wing, I dove a lady hawk BC. I liked the lady hawk, was very comfortable. Yet, I prefer my back plate/wing. I can adjust the straps to fit myself better. It is also useful because I can use it to dive a single tank or double tank. Of course, this a controversial choice with some dive shops as it is not the bread and butter of their business (at least the ones in the area where I live). As the other posters mentioned, do not limit your choices to just the women BCs. Try different ones on to see what is right for you. I really liked owning my own BC because it becomes like a second skin when you use it repetitively vs renting from a shop. Good luck!

Just bought a SeaQuest AquaLung Pearl i3.

I have a few friends who have one and swear by it. I can't wait to use it next month!

I have the Halcyon Eclipse

it's an ali back plate + wing + light weight cylinder brackets instead of the STA

I'm 5'4 and 53kg

before this I had a ladies style SeaQuest Dive jacket BCD

I much prefer the Halcyon wing

I've been using a Seaquest Diva for most of my diving life and it's served me fine. It's a hybrid back inflation with a jacket as well - so depending on who you ask, it's either the best of both worlds or the worst. My Staff Instructor when I took my IDC was concerned that it would be difficult to demonstrate skills wearing a weight belt with this particular model as a lot of the back inflation BCs depend on the weight integration to balance the tipping forward tendency. But I've found it absolutely not a problem - I just have to adjust the position of the weights on the weight belt.

I'll look at the Halcyon backplate and harness when I eventually move on to a new BC (I've tried it once and it feels like you're not wearing a BC and they have a reputation for being indestructible). But I've wondered about how they are for smaller sizes.

I've been using a Seaquest Diva for most of my diving life and it's served me fine. It's a hybrid back inflation with a jacket as well - so depending on who you ask, it's either the best of both worlds or the worst. My Staff Instructor when I took my IDC was concerned that it would be difficult to demonstrate skills wearing a weight belt with this particular model as a lot of the back inflation BCs depend on the weight integration to balance the tipping forward tendency. But I've found it absolutely not a problem - I just have to adjust the position of the weights on the weight belt.

I'll look at the Halcyon backplate and harness when I eventually move on to a new BC (I've tried it once and it feels like you're not wearing a BC and they have a reputation for being indestructible). But I've wondered about how they are for smaller sizes.
So I started this thread back 6 months ago when I started diving..............I just finally purchased my BC...............in the end went with a Halcyon SS back plate and wing..............so Far I have done 2 dives in it and Love it! You say you wonder how they fit for smal sizes? how small are you? I am 5'4" medium framed about 135lbs .the plate comes in different sizes and is sized based on your torso length:wink:

Just bought a SeaQuest AquaLung Pearl i3.

I have a few friends who have one and swear by it. I can't wait to use it next month!

I own a Pearl I3 and love the quick touch inflation lever and automatic dump valves. What I dislike about it is the jacket. No matter how tight I would tighten the cumberbund or any of the other straps the jacket would ride up and I'd have about 3" of space between me and the shoulder straps. If I should turn quickly or roll over the jacket wouldn't come with me. So, I would have to pause in my dive and take a minute or two to readjust/twist it back into place.

As for the Haclyon BP/W, I'm 5'5" and 140lbs. The whole webbing is adjustable to fit just about any size. DesignerDiver is correct in they also have different sized plates too.

Congrats, Trish on your purchase. :D

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom