New Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hairymonster:

I believe this boils down to Aqualung's rather bullish tactics when it comes to smaller retailers (There's another thread regarding this issue somewhere).

In short, an LDS had their dealership for Aqualung terminated because they questioned some rather dubious price-fixing strategies Aqualung has implemented. Boils down to politics really. The actual equipment is top quality, even though the way they do business might not be entirely fair.

I bought my apeks reg because John Bennet uses this reg for his deep dive records. If it fine for a 300meters deep record it's sure is fine for me.

Hairymonster:
Aqualung, like most major scuba equipment brands has a policy requiring over the counter sales with specified minimum advertised and/or sales prices.

Aqualung is currently taking heat on the issue, but it's not just Aqualung - it's almost everyone.
These types of policies date back to the earlier days of scuba and was designed to ensure enough margin to keep dive shops in business with the generally low volume by limiting the potential to price war each other out if business. It benefitted the dealers by keeping them healthy and benefitted the companies by ensuring larger and more widespread dealer networks with shops in small as well as large markets. It was a good idea.

In the 70's and 80's mailorder sales became a factor with businesses like Central Skin Divers and Berry Scuba competeing on a cut rate low service basis. Basically the precursor of the internet, but with a much more limited selection of brands that for the most part essentially limited sales to smaller off brand equipment.

However with the current EU situation allowing importation of offshore goods at essentially dealer cost that are then sold through large volume, non-company approved internet dealers, the old pricing strategy has more or less fallen apart. Companies still expect dealers to abide by dealer agreements that usually prevent phone, internet of mailorder sales and/or restrict minimum prices and/or advertised prices, but then do very little to track or control the grey market products beong sold through internet dealers like leisure pro. Essentially, most companies are not overly motivated to stop internet sales as a large volume of their total sales come from internet sales and, for the company, the profit margin is the same either way.

This puts legitimate local dealers in a situation of being unable to compete price wise with low overhead large volume internet businesses even though customers often see, feel and try equipment in the shop that they will then buy on line to say a few bucks. So in essence the dealer carries the overhead and provides a show room for an internet retailer that they are not even allowed to be competetive with.

In the US pricing policies like this border on the illegal as they could be construed as "fixing" prices. However there is a loophole of sorts as the "agreement" is informal in that the company does not require dealers to agree to sell at a given price, it just cancels the dealerships and/or refuses to send more product to dealers who sell below a certain price.

sunkarm:
I bought my apeks reg because John Bennet uses this reg for his deep dive records. If it fine for a 300meters deep record it's sure is fine for me.
Hmmm...The power of sponsorship. There are a number of quality regs capable of that performance, but that does quality in and of itself does not make it the "best" reg for an individuals divers specific needs. Making a decision based soley on that kind of criteria is not the best approach to take.

Exemple the XTX 200 setup is 2500$CND(without taxes) here at a LDS in canada

I got my setup from Divesports.com (who has recently been having problems with AquaLung) for well 1/3 of the price above ( cant say it) (after all costs and in CND $) (with OCTO, INFLATOR HOSE AND XTX-40 OCTO)
wich is a 40% rebate on normal market price in the US. Aqualung says that the max discount they can give is 10% so thats why they are taking away their dealership.

so you see the difference.

Divesports.com is having a sale of their products because their dealear ship will be cut off. Go take a look it will help them clear their stock ( wich they paid for) and they offer great service.

Plus, the delta 4 is a great reg too I heard. Only con is that it doesnt come on DIN but if you want YOKE its ok.

And the proton metal is cool too. Scubatoys.com offers the Proton Metal Tech reg low price and its a great reg.
Small, Metal, Great!

*info If you had problems with the poseidon Xstream it is really strange. Its one of the best regs out there. Theres also a clip uder it for predive- dive mode in the Jetstream version . Wasnt there one on the Xstream?

* PM me if you want the price I paid my Apeks stuff. It would maybe put Phil of divesports in a worst situation than he is in if i post the price here.

I second the delta 4 w/fdx10 first stage. I use a delta 3 and am impressed with oceanics level of quality and customer service. And just out of principle I would not buy anything from the air liquide group(aqualung) now either. Even tho I love the original blades fins and have 2 sets of them if and when I need to replace my fins they will not be from aqualung.

Seraphimx:
Exemple the XTX 200 setup is 2500$CND(without taxes) here at a LDS in canada

I got my setup from Divesports.com (who has recently been having problems with AquaLung) for 820$ CND(after all costs)
wich is a 40% on normal market price in the US, Aqualung says that the max discount they can give is 10%.

so you see the difference.

Divesports.com is having a sale of their products because their dealear ship will be cut off. Go take a look it will help them clear their stock ( wich they paid for) and they offer great service.

Plus, the delta 4 is a great reg too I heard. Only con is that it doesnt come on DIN but if you want YOKE its ok.

And the proton metal is cool too. Scubatoys.com offers the Proton Metal Tech reg low price and its a great reg.
Small, Metal, Great!

*info If you had problems with the poseidon Xstream it is really strange. Its one of the best regs out there. Theres also a clip uder it for predive- dive mode in the Jetstream version . Wasnt there one on the Xstream?

No clip on the extreme. Don't need it.

seemed to have stirred something up here that i didnt know about sorry for that. just chatted to my lds about oceanic reg's and result they have given me a set to try this weekend so i'll let you know what happen's!!

Hairymonster:
seemed to have stirred something up here that i didnt know about sorry for that. just chatted to my lds about oceanic reg's and result they have given me a set to try this weekend so i'll let you know what happen's!!

I was just about to suggest that you request "Try before you buy" from ANY LDS. If they won't let you try it, go somewhere else to buy it. Try several brands and appropriate models. What works for me may not work for you.

shellbackdiver1:
I would not support the buying of any product made under the Aire Liquide group. That means Apex, Aqua Lung and Suunto

Understand why you would say this with the recent postings, however I think you could be missing out on some excelent gear just to make your point. If you needed a compass and there wasnt the whole Aqua Lung thing going I'd bet you would buy a Suunto. If you were looking to buy a reg set for tech diving, Id bet you would get an apex. I understand and can applaud your high morals, however don't settle for gear that is almost as good.

By the way I have a Scuba Pro Mk25 with an S600 second. I would not advise this reg for cold water as I've had it free flow once due to cold. I just purchased an Apex Ds4/tx50, wow! I thought the SP would breath better, boy was I wrong! Both inhalation and exhalation are easier on the Apeks right out of the box. Im taking the set to the oil rigs next weekend and I might be selling my scubapro...

Back
Top Bottom