Apex xtx50 with Aqualung Titan LX Octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lobster-Man

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
So I just picked up a new Apex xtx50 and was wondering if I can use an Aqualung Titan LX as an Octopus with it.
I already have the Titan, purchased used a few years ago and is probably early 2000's, and have been using it for a pony bottle, so a new 40" yellow hose would be cheap if it would work.
My old '78, regulator, a Poseidon Cyklon 300 was getting too hard to gets parts and service for, though I still Love it.

This is what the LX looks like, although not actual photos of mine but identical.

Attachments

• Titan LX 2nd.jpg
    Titan LX 2nd.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Titan LX 1st.jpg
    Titan LX 1st.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 33
Yes, you can. The LX is a modern high performance air balanced second stage. It is the same second stage with just graphics changes as the Core which is now thanks to yet another graphics change is the Helix. Anyone wonder why AL may go TU? The first stage is a Conshelf type dating back to the Royal Aqua Master, nothing new there. The Core/Helix first is essentially the same as the Titan LX first but turned at a right angle to incorporate the ACD and remain compact.

I could be wrong about the supposedly new Helix. I have not held one in my hands and taken it apart. I do have Core and Titan LX second and first stages. It is possible though improbable that the Helix is an improved regulator based on the Core/Titan LX. I should not say something if I have not actually taken it apart and seen the innards. And I have not with the Helix second stage.

A couple of years ago I was on a dive boat down in SoFla and out on the deep ledge. One of the divers had a regulator problem with his new D something another. It was hissing, popping, leaking. I do not know, I had my own stuff to deal with (my camera) and was focused on me, not him. But it soon came to my attention he was not going to be able to dive. The crew offered him some sort of cobbled together boat reg and he refused it because he was super techie and could only dive long hose this and tech that and all of this as he fussed and sobbed alligator tears. So, I took a moment from my universe and from my dive bag pulled out my faithful spare, the Titan LX, rigged long hose and ready to rock and roll! And then I shoved it in his hands and told him that whatever it was he has it was second rate to this, with a wink :wink:. Or just sit there and cry. He took it but only pinky held it as if the Titan LX was to low for him. We did three dives that day. After the first dive he gushed about how smooth it was and how there was no need to adjust anything. After the third dive he wanted to buy it from me. I declined. It is always good to have a back up plan, spell that for me, Titan LX :).

Thanks for the info. So the LX is fine.
After using Poseidon for 44 + years I found the Titan LX not to my liking but fine for a pony. The xtx50 is much better but I'm still getting use to it. I'll reserve comment on it for a while, still getting use to the double bubbles etc..

Thanks for the info. So the LX is fine.
After using Poseidon for 44 + years I found the Titan LX not to my liking but fine for a pony. The xtx50 is much better but I'm still getting use to it. I'll reserve comment on it for a while, still getting use to the double bubbles etc..

The Titan LX second needs to be tuned and set to the IP of your first stage. If it has not had a new seat installed in forever the seat may need replacement. And, like most regs, out of the box, they tend to be set very stiff so that customers do not bring them back because of slightly leaking once the seats break-in. It is customary to set non-adjustable second stages a little stiffer than an adjustable, that is the default when there is no adjustment for spring tension on the seat. The XTX being adjustable should allow for a slightly lower cracking force. The Titan LX should be adjusted to 1.0 to 1.4 inches of water. I usually go for 1.1 inches of water for a stable setting, IP at 9.5 bar (135 to 140 psi).

This AQL LX is the first generation of the Legend, maybe 2006/2008, just the front ring and front cover different , same O´ring kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom