New Sidemount Video Diving Guide from Jeff Loflin & Jill Heinerth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Robert. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately nothing makes mail get here any quicker. It goes to Kearny NJ where it sits for a while. Express might get it to NJ faster, but that would be it. I am placing the order right now.

---------- Post added May 13th, 2012 at 02:47 PM ----------

Order placed through PayPal.

So you were a SeaBee? The SeaBee group down here are a great bunch.
Shipped via Priority Mail.
Yep, I was in NMCB-4 from 1983-89. I was a combat photographer, not a builder. There was one phojo in each battalion. Actually spent about a week at Gitmo in about 1987...first place I ever snorkeled!

Shipped via Priority Mail.
Yep, I was in NMCB-4 from 1983-89. I was a combat photographer, not a builder. There was one phojo in each battalion. Actually spent about a week at Gitmo in about 1987...first place I ever snorkeled!

Very cool. I should have done that! lol. I know some Navy dive photographers. WTH??? They were down here just to dive and take pictures. I want that job.

I got the shipping notice. Thanks for the extremely fast shipping. I can't wait to get the video.

I downloaded it(about an hour,) then headed off to go dive the Oriskany later that week. As we were waiting for the boat, I realized it was the same charter and crew used in most of the video(The Down Under.) Great video, well done and informative for a newish side mount diver. Also didn't hurt that they mostly used the same Hollis rig I use.

I cannot tell from the license terms: Is it allowed to show students our purchased copy?

I cannot tell from the license terms: Is it allowed to show students our purchased copy?
Yes, please share with your students. We ask that you do not burn copies for anyone:no::no: However, if any instructors would like to re-sell the DVD to students as part of your Sidemount instruction package, we'll be happy to give you great wholesale rates. Contact me. Thanks.

Yes, please share with your students. We ask that you do not burn copies for anyone
:no::no: However, if any instructors would like to re-sell the DVD to students as part of your Sidemount instruction package, we'll be happy to give you great wholesale rates. Contact me. Thanks.

As long as we can show them our copy in class, that's a good start.

More technical, IP questions:

As it turns out, many of my people have computers without DVD players, and/or on vacation do not have computers or DVD players, and/or don't want to stay at the shop and watch videos. When loaning them (say) PADI OW videos, I make sure and loan a digital copy only in ratio to my physical copies, working on the honor system that they will not copy the files. This is of course for classes where in the interest of saving time at the shop, I have them watch the videos on their time. (I am pretty sure I am OK with this standards and IP wise, as long as the physical copy is counted as out on loan when the digital file is out.)

Since I would be buying a downloaded copy, rather than a physical this video for myself, how would this work for this video? Would you rather we just email them a referral link if they want to watch at home? Can we collect payment for a copy and forward you payment? I ask because not every tourist has access to high enough internet speed to download a nearly 1 gb file, not will they be carrying a computer. I guess I could get several iPod Touches and pay for several copies of the file and loan them out, if an iPod Touch can play the file. (If the iPod Touch cannot play the file I can transcode it so that it will, I suppose.).

Any thoughts or ideas about this?

I'm not sure I followed your posting completely, so if I misunderstood, please forgive me. If you have a website or facebook page, you can embed the player and the digital distributor (Distrify) will pay you 10% for any streams, downloads or DVDs purchased through your site. We appreciate you using our content in your classes - but copying the video, in any form, is prohibited. It is easy to embed the player, I think there is even a way to email it to your students. By making the embeds available to shops and instructors, we are trying to discourage copying and piracy, and present an opportunity for you to make a little money at the same time.
As long as we can show them our copy in class, that's a good start.

More technical, IP questions:

As it turns out, many of my people have computers without DVD players, and/or on vacation do not have computers or DVD players, and/or don't want to stay at the shop and watch videos. When loaning them (say) PADI OW videos, I make sure and loan a digital copy only in ratio to my physical copies, working on the honor system that they will not copy the files. This is of course for classes where in the interest of saving time at the shop, I have them watch the videos on their time. (I am pretty sure I am OK with this standards and IP wise, as long as the physical copy is counted as out on loan when the digital file is out.)

Since I would be buying a downloaded copy, rather than a physical this video for myself, how would this work for this video? Would you rather we just email them a referral link if they want to watch at home? Can we collect payment for a copy and forward you payment? I ask because not every tourist has access to high enough internet speed to download a nearly 1 gb file, not will they be carrying a computer. I guess I could get several iPod Touches and pay for several copies of the file and loan them out, if an iPod Touch can play the file. (If the iPod Touch cannot play the file I can transcode it so that it will, I suppose.).

Any thoughts or ideas about this?

Ok, so here's what I might do then:

Buy as many copies of the video as I have students.

Put each purchased copy on an iPod Touch, and loan the iPod Touch to them, if they are watching it out of class. So when the iPod Touch is returned, the file is returned, and email them a link so if they want to buy the video when they get back home, they can.

I am assuming that the 'no-copying' rule does not mean no putting on a playback device. That's how iPads, and iPods work: by copying from the computer to the device, so there is some copying going on. But since the iPads and iPods do not allow files to be easily coped from them, they are reasonably secure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom