New Speargunner!!!!Just bought my first!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheVinstigator

Registered
Reaction score
Just purchased my first 2 spearguns a 6 foot pole spear and a AB Biller 48 special and have a few questions. How do you replace the band on the pole spear?? The one I bought is a JBL aluminum shaft spear with a hole near the rear of the spear. The AB Biller I bought didn`t come with instructions, and has 2 bands but 3 grooves on the spear, which grooves do the bands go into?? Is it worth it to put the extra band on the gun and use all three???To put new bands on the gun do you place the metal part of the band through the slit in the plastic on the band retainer??What experience does the board have with this gun as to species size limits and effective ranges??

As far as the speargun,it will serve you well.The three grooves enable you to use up to 3 bands.This will mean decreased amounts of shots but increased power.With the recreational limits on most fish being what they are I generally use 2 or 3 bands as I rarely need 10 shots per dive.Even when freeshafting I use 2 x5/8"Spearfishing Specialties cable wishbone bands 1x 24" and 1x 26".You can put the bands one at a time and one per groove in either groove always loading from the groove closest to the muzzle first and working back.New bands go in as you described wishbone first in the slit.As far as range with a line you can expect to have power out to the limit of the stock 2 wrap line with 2 or 3 5/8" bands about 15' or so.Freeshafting you may be able to add 5' feet with practice.Species include anything up to about 50# or so at first and larger as you get more practice.The best 2 fish I've seen personally recently with a 48" Biller were a 103# Cobia and a 73#Cubera snapper both using a line Vs. freeshaft.Good Luck with the new toys.

I think the best thing you can do to improve your spear fishing is practice.

Just like in shooting a rifle or a handgun, the more target practice you get, the better you are at hitting the target. With a spear gun, you generally only get one shot. By the time you re-cock, the fish is long gone if you missed, so making a good first shot is critical, but recocking underwater is hard and can be frustrating and a little dangerous in terms of entanglement, so practicing restringing your gun is very important.

When you're sitting down in front of the TV at night, you can practice re-stringing your gun. Of course, don't cock it inside your home (or on a boat for that matter) but you can practice re-stringing it over and over without recocking it. You will be surprised at how easily you get tangled up when you fire your gun for the first time underwater and then try to re-string it and recock it underwater. When there's even a little current, the string becomes hard to manage.

All newbies, and even experienced spearfishermen, in their haste to reload, forget to put the spear back through the bands. Once the spear is in place and restrung, you can't pull the bands over the spear point. If you forgot to load your gun properly in the first place, the bands will be under the gun instead of on top of the shaft. When this happens, you have no choice but to take the spear out and put it back through the bands.

What I do to avoid this is hold the gun upside down, so that the bands are hanging down forming a "O" at the muzzel of the gun. Then put the spear shaft through the "O" formed by the bands as the gun is hanging upside down. By doing it this way, you will always be assured that the bands are in the right place when you're ready to cock.

To practice this technique at home, put your hand in the middle of the gun body and hold the gun in one hand, out from your body so that the gun is upside down and the bands form the "O." The upside down gun and your arm should form the letter "T."

As you're holding the gun with one hand, out from your body and upside down , use the other hand to put the spear butt through the "O" bands, through the muzzle and lock spear in breech by giving it a good tap in place. Put the safety down (the safety on the AB Biller is "on" when it is pointing down -- it is "off" when it is parallel with the spear). With the spear in place, and the gun still upside down, restring it.

With the gun still upside down, the string "catch" will be sticking up right over the trigger. Start looping the string around the trigger "catch" and back over muzzle catch. The rubber part of the string should be the in the last loop that you make because then you can stretch it to make the last loop fit over the trigger catch.

After the gun is strung, turn it over. When you turn the speargun over, the bands should fall in place, ready to be cocked.

I know this sounds complicated, but its not really. If you'll practice this routine until it becomes one fluid motion, you'll save yourself a lot of frustration and get more fish.

If you can find a place where you can practice shooting the gun, like a swimming pool, then you'll be ever further ahead of the learning curve.

Vinstigator

I'm glad you asked how to put a new band on a JBL polespear. I need to change the band on mine and have been unable to find any directions as to how to do so. Can someone pleas help us out with specific directions including what tools are best and which tricks are necessary? Thanks.

Tommed

Find a Spearfishing Specialties dealer & buy a speedloader kit. Get rid of the nylon line on the Biller (I have the same gun) and replace it with a speedloader. They're here, along with an explanation of how to use them:

http://www.slinginsteel.com/classic.html#line

The standard nylon cord shock line can be a real PITA, it's shapeless & can & will go everywhere & tangle on anything it can reach. Including your gear.

Hey Wayward,
I've a got a 48" SS gun and it doesn't have any provisions for storing the line like the one in the first photo. Obviously it's just a screw on the front to hook the clip around but where do you wrap the line on the back? If you left it on the line release it looks like it'd fall off when you shot.

Sorry for the threadjack.

Jason

The screw is part of the speedloader kit. It's only used to stow the line when you disconnect it from the shaft so you can freeshaft. If you gun has a hook on the muzzle to wrap the line on & a line release on the trigger assemble, you can use the speedloader.

Wayward Son:
The screw is part of the speedloader kit. It's only used to stow the line when you disconnect it from the shaft so you can freeshaft. If you gun has a hook on the muzzle to wrap the line on & a line release on the trigger assemble, you can use the speedloader.

Mine has the speedloader it just doesn't have the places to store the line while freeshafting. I can put a screw on the front but I can't figure out what to wrap the line around in the back. Is it just another screw?

I've got two of Ray's 60" freeshafts I want to try out this weekend but I still want to have my lineshaft available in case a huge reef donkey shows up.

There is a 2nd screw back there. It gets placed so that when the line is detached from the spear (it's still connected to the muzzle) you wrap from the muzzle, back around the rear screw, to the muzzle, with the final wrap placing the snap swivel to hook over the screw.

If you need, I can measure the position of the one on my 48 and tell you where it's located. It's just a stainless steel screw, but I think they put some plastic tube over it so the mono doesn't contact the threads.

That's what I needed! If you think about it'd be great to have the actual measurement.

Many thanks,
Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom