New suit - buoyancy way off!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Steve:
What tank are you using?

Jacket or wing? I'm not sure here

Alu plate or S/Steel if BP/Wing?

How pooched is your 7mm suit?

It hardly makes sense to say that with no point of reference, as it's pretty useless without it.

AL80, Apex ATX50 reg, back inflate BCD (Oceanic BioFlex), 7 mil Henderson full body Gold Core (non-hyperstretch) with about 30-40 dives on it, neutral fins, 4 lbs in ditch pockets, 4 lbs in trim pockets, 5 mm hood, 3mm gloves, 5mm booties.

P.S. I am not by any means saying that amber should be able to get down to 8 lbs. I know that is where I am dialed in to, and I know that my suit is pretty well broken in. All I am saying is that 24 lbs in fresh water wearing anything less than a drysuit sounds a little excessive. Just based on my own observation. It wasn't too long ago that I was diving with 22 lbs in fresh water, and it took me a little while, some more training, and a little advice from fellow divers before I got a handle on just how overweighted I was. Now, I wear 10 lbs when assisting an OW class (I am a DIT - Divemaster in Training :wink: ), just so I have a little extra push downward if I need to assist another diver, or to add to someone else's weighting. When I dive with 10, I do rely somewhat on my BCD for bouyancy at depth. With 8 lbs, I am neutral and use my BCD only on the surface following a dive.

divingjd:
The same fins can have different buoyancy characteristics in different colors. For example, Scuba Pro Twin Jets are negatively buoyant in black, but positively buoyant in blue, grey, and yellow.

And incase it matters Liz, don't confuse the Twin Jets with Jet Fins by the same company.

The latter one ONLY comes in black, and are always negative.

I say that because of the two that I mentioned to you, this is the one that would most likely fit you.

On the odd time that I wear a wetsuit and require the use of smaller fins, if I wore anything but my jets, my feet would get floaty too (7mm boots). I definately feel it. Those plastic fins just make it worse.

And of course all gear must be black anyway...lol

Regards

Scuba_Steve:
Well now she has her reference.

Pretty thorough too!

Well you never know...I suppose the ATX50 first stage is a pretty heavy one, and maybe contributes a few pounds. I used to dive with Twin Jets, and I am sure they contributed a pound or two, but now I am diving with some pretty light weight single blade fins, so that is factored out. :wink:

Scuba_Steve:
And incase it matters Liz, don't confuse the Twin Jets with Jet Fins by the same company.

The latter one ONLY comes in black, and are always negative.
Although they used to come in blue, pink and (I've heard) white.

Amberjack:
Yep, the boots were a new experience yesterday.

They felt pretty darn floaty. I did feel like I was going to end up in a headstand position when I wasn't finning. I should have just completely relaxed and let myself end up on my head, just to see how far I would go - I have to get over my fear of looking like a total noob. :shakehead

That's a really good point. I did cinch the belt up higher than I usually do, I think - because the extra weight felt like it would hurt my hips.

I would just like to say, I LOVE SB. :sappy: This is all very helpful. Thank you! I'm going to try to go back once more before the dives and play around a bit more.

I suspected you might have the belt a little high. When you go from 8 lbs. in a 3mm to 24 lbs. in a 7mm, the comfort issues with the belt multiply a lot. Play around with the position of the weights on the belt and make sure you don't have them right over your hip bones. You want them just in front of your hip bones and just behind your hip bones (assuming there are four or more weights). A larger number of smaller weights might be more comfortable than a smaller number of larger weights (say, six 4lb weights instead of four 6 lb. weights). You might also want to try a pocket weight belt. They can be more comfortable than the traditional web belt and threaded weights. You can either drop the solid weights in the pockets or, for more comfort, use the lead-shot-filled soft weights. If you can get the weight a little further down on your hips, I think you will find a significant change. It's probably not just your feet that are floaty, it may really be all the neoprene from your waist down.

Good luck!

Do yourself a favour and be *very* careful about buying gear. Also, start with the real essentials. This is something I learned the hard way, as I've got into diving three times: 1968, 1981 and 2001 (and eventually gave up on it twice, because like you, I lived in T.O.!)

Fins vary quite a bit in buoyancy. For me they're so important that I dragged my huge, heavy Biofin Pro Xt's all the way to the Galapagos with us last Christmas, as much for their negative buoyancy as for their "drive" in current. And also because some gimmicks, like their spring-stainless-steel straps really work, making doffing and doning in a drysuit or thick wetsuit much easier. (If you do get hard rubber fins like these or jets or turtles, size them very carefully: their one fault is that toe pockets don't have the "give" of lighter "floatier ones...oh there is another...should you drop them, they sink like a stone...

Ankle weights are an annoying but common crutch for many of us diving in drysuits, but I seldom see them with wetsuits. I'd try fidling with the placement of your tank, and also experimenting with reducing weight a little, by making sure that your wet suit is completely soaked, etc. Then try floating vertically, feet pointed down, relaxing as completley as possible and slowly raising your arms as breathe out (with a working regulator in your mouth, of course!)

The more weight you wear--especially if its all in a place in which it acts as a pivot--the more difficult it is to maintain a smooth and steady trim. Steel tanks definitely work better with thick wetsuits and dry suits for much the same--centred weight on the back--reason that people give for backplates.

Also, while I'm sure that backplate-wing combinations are wonderful, they are not exacly the cheapest or the simplest kind of gear for the new diver. Weight-integrated Back-inflation BC's like my Knighthawk and my wife and daughter's Ladyhawks have turned out to be a quite acceptible compromise. They really work for us, especially when combined with a moderate amount of well- distributed weight on a padded or soft-weight hip-hugging belt. This provides you with:

1) The safety (and cost saving) of being able to ditch only part of your weight so that you don't risk rocketing to the surface. (Studies have shown that we do stupid things in emergencies...like worry about losing expensive weight-pockets instead of losing our lives!)

2) The relative comfort of a BC that *doesn't* end up weighing 30 pounds *plus* the weight of the tank. Ditto for the then-more-managable belt.

3) Much better trim because of the improved weight distribution.

You'll definitely find that you need less weight as you become more comfortable diving and stop--quite unconsciously--holding extra air in your lungs. (We're land animals and initially tend to gulp in every underwater breath as if it we're our last!) It does get better...especially if you dive as often as possible and try out every bit of gear several times over before buying *anything*.

erichK:
...... (Studies have shown that we do stupid things in emergencies...like worry about losing expensive weight-pockets instead of losing our lives!)......

Not at all pertaining to this thread, but ain't that the truth!

I did one a few months ago in Cuba, and I swear after I got the weight belt off the girl, all she was worried about since the minor issue of drowning, death and all that had just passed, was did I drop it into the sea on her! I swear I barely had it off her and it looked like she was grabbing it so she wouldn't lose it. :confused:

What's the average price of a Nighthawk these days anyway?

ScubaJorgen:
Uhm... on the photo you don't look like a girl with a lot of naturally built-in buoyancy, if you know what I mean. So it is odd that you should need ankle weights or any correction :confused: ..
I once made that remark to a woman instructor and with looks that could kill she snarled back at me: "HIPS and THIGHS!"

That's seems to be where the body fat and amount of neoprene varies most between the sexes.

Charlie99:
I once made that remark to a woman instructor and with looks that could kill she snarled back at me: "HIPS and THIGHS!"

That's seems to be where the body fat and amount of neoprene varies most between the sexes.

Heh. I was just going to let that comment go. But since you brought it up, I'm pretty sure that's not the problem - all of my "natural buoyancy" (and I do have it! :wink: ) is pretty evenly distributed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom