New Suunto D6!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goldmember:
Hi guys,

A small question about the D6 and the dive-manager software. I know that the D6 does not provide average depth on its screen (I asked Suunto about this), but I would imagine it can be calculated from the available data. I know the dive-manager software provides average depth for some Suunto computers, but I am not sure if this is only for the computers that already have this information in their computer-stored data. Do you know if divemanager also provides this info for the D6?

I know it provides that info when I d/l my Vyper, even though the Vyper it self does NOT provide that info during the dive.

WaterDawg:
I know it provides that info when I d/l my Vyper, even though the Vyper it self does NOT provide that info during the dive.

The Suunto DiveManager downloads only the actual profile information from the computer (As in the depth recorded at each collection point (which is every 20 seconds by default - Can be set to once every second..)) and it recalculates no-deco time, tissue saturation and all of that in the DiveManager. (Which is why the DiveManager no-deco time can vary slightly from the computer's own no-deco time. (The computer collects depth information continuously for it's own deco calculations)

So I believe it will provide average depth regardless whether the computer displays it.

E:)

Thanks everybody. It seems :confused2 like average depth data should be there after data transfer. Still... anybody out there with a D9 or D6 with actual experience? :D

Goldmember:
Thanks everybody. It seems :confused2 like average depth data should be there after data transfer. Still... anybody out there with a D9 or D6 with actual experience? :D

I've got the D6, but haven't downloaded my profiles yet.

Will let you know once I have though.

Goldmember:
anybody out there with a D9 or D6 with actual experience? :D

I've got a D9, and yes, Suunto's (and my own) desktop software calculate and display average depth after downloading a dive profile.

-Mark

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot! That's what I wanted to know! Scubaboard is great! :10:

Now I have to start making up my mind whether a D6 is worth the extra money over a Mosquito. My wife and I both need a nitrox compatible dive computer that's relatively wearable as watch on diving holidays. We were leaning towards the Mosquito (price, size, battery change, average depth in log), but the D6 is lingering a bit (looks, durability, compass), although I am not sure how usable the compass would be (do the other data go off your screen in compass mode?)

I noticed on the Japanese Suunto website that the D9/D6 use a DSRGBM algorithm and the others a RGBM algorithm (couldn't find that info on the normal site though...). What's the difference? Will they come up with different profile recommendations and alarms (that's another consideration, since one of each may be an option...). If you have any advice, it's really welcome. Thanks already for the input so far!

Hey G.M.

I own a D9...the "DSRGBM" must refer to the optional setting for "Deep Stops" instead of conventional safety stop at 15ft/5m. The only computers that have this option from Suunto are the D6, D9, and the Vytec DS.

Cheers.

-J.-

Hi J,

Yeah you are right. DS refers to Deep Stop. Just figured that out from reading the English Suunto site. Thanks for the feedback!

GM

johnny_bravo:
Hey G.M.

I own a D9...the "DSRGBM" must refer to the optional setting for "Deep Stops" instead of conventional safety stop at 15ft/5m. The only computers that have this option from Suunto are the D6, D9, and the Vytec DS.

Cheers.

-J.-

For those of us less familiar with both Suuntos and advanced diving, could you please explain the benefits of this "deep stops" feature? How does it differ from the benefits all computers are supposed to provide for time spent at shallower depths on one's way up? Is this feature necessary for longer or deeper deco dives?

Are the batteries in the D6 user replaceable?

If not user replaceable, can they be changed by any watchmaker, or does the thing have to go back to Suunto or a dealer?

Back
Top Bottom