new to diving and need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
You need to hook up with a good Dive Shop/Instructor, and start your training.

For many agencies you need AOW, Rescue, CPR certification, and and then you can start on the DM program assuming you have enough dives.

If you are planning on staying in BC, you will also need a Drysuit! :D

Good luck, and ohh to be 19 again!!
If I was 19 with that goal, I'd just go to Utila Island, Honduras and hook up with Deep Blue Divers. Come back as an experienced Instructor. May not make any money, but a fun live.

DandyDon:
If I was 19 with that goal, I'd just go to Utila Island, Honduras and hook up with Deep Blue Divers. Come back as an experienced Instructor. May not make any money, but a fun live.

Heck, I'd do that NOW, but these little commitments like a wife, house, kid, mortgage, career, etc., seem to keep me down, or errr.. prevent me from getting down more often... :06:

Hi Lozzin,
If you are going the PADI certification route, then the Divemaster level is going to be the first professional level certification where you can start to get paid. To get there you need to:

1. Sign up for your Advanced Open Water Certification at your local dive shop
2. Get your Emergency First Responder
3. Get your Rescue Diver certification
4. Get your Divemaster certification (you will need between 40-60 dives to complete your Inst. cert.)

The PADI website may also be a helpful resource for you: http://www.padi.com

Remember getting to this point as a diver, you will need to invest $$ in taking classes, and purchasing your own dive gear and dive dive dive.

DandyDon:

why utila island? are dives really cheap or somethin

Although Diving my not be one of the highest paying carrers, or in some cases a carrer that even puts food on the table, it is one of the most exciting. I have not found the same exhilaration from any sport so far. You can never get over the excitement and since every single dive is different it is like going to a new job each day. All in all if you are dedicated and openminded (to waiting tables during surface time) go for it!

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

Back
Top Bottom