New to diving and need some info! Please!(long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dwellex:
Thanks for the link Scott! For sure,I will wait before buying my gear. It's just that I was thinking that since I dont want to buy it all at once that it would be a good idea to purchase a piece at a time. I will follow everyones advice...But if I find a good deal,it will be hard for me not to buy! :)

see ya!
Alex

Most shops will give you a much better price if you put together a bigger order for them to bid on. :crafty:

DandyDon:
Howdy!

I just want to join the others in welcoming you to SB. Hope to get to know you around the forums. Be sure to check out our Canada forums and the one on New To Scuba.

I landed in your city a little over a week ago. It was out of the way to Brockville ONT, that's the way it worked out. Great diving in 67F water.

Cuba's 80+F waters must be wonderful, but - we still don't talk. What you survived is a Resort Course, or Discover Scuba - the same way I got hooked a few hundred miles further east off of St.Kitts. Getting certified is a great idea, and when you go back - but the Dive Guides's leading contradicts your training, follow your training.

Nose bleeds among newbies are common. As your equalizing skills improve, and your sinuses & veins adapt, they may disappear on their own. Never a bad idea to get a professional :lildoc: opinion, though.

It'll be good to own your own Reg and BC before getting too far along, but give yourself time to form a good decision based on study. You certainky want a Reg that can be esily serviced locally.

Completing your Profile and seperately - keeping your Dive Info up to date helps in future diving discussions. PM me if I can help you learn your way around.

don
:wink:

Hey! DandyDon!
Thanks for the welcome!

I am so exited to go diving that I could shove a kettle on my head and ducktape a piece of plywood on each foot and jump in the St-Laurent River witch is 200feet away from where I live!!

I just hope that the doc wont find anything wrong with my sinus...I mean I did dive twice already and I'm still alive and well! 50feet on a second dive is quite awesome in my book considering that I got a 20min "initiation course". That's all it took to make me feel like Cousteau for the rest of my vacation! :)

I will stick here and learn!

Alex

Dwellex:
Hey! DandyDon!
Thanks for the welcome!

I am so exited to go diving that I could shove a kettle on my head and ducktape a piece of plywood on each foot and jump in the St-Laurent River witch is 200feet away from where I live!!

I just hope that the doc wont find anything wrong with my sinus...I mean I did dive twice already and I'm still alive and well! 50feet on a second dive is quite awesome in my book considering that I got a 20min "initiation course". That's all it took to make me feel like Cousteau for the rest of my vacation! :)

I will stick here and learn!

Alex

Yeah, I was further out in the Carrib, where rules are more like suggestions. Did a 5 miutes on boat course, 3 dives, the last to 100 feet. I shudder when I think of that. :nervous:

When you get a few dozen dives, you'll need to get with the Ontario club divers and dive those wrecks. Neat, if you're okahy in current and overhead freighters. Here's a link to my story: http://scubaboard.com/t71297-texas-invades-canada.html

And the best dive store I've ever seen is there, behind a private home. They call it the Candy Store. :dazzler1:

Welcome aboard. you would be wise to wait until you had a few dives in before you buy your biggest investment, if your LDS has a wide selection of rentals to choose from then my advice is try them and ask other divers what they think while going through the class.

I bought mine in one swoop and so far I am pleased with what I bought as it was a package deal, but then again I didn't go on the expensive or cheap end.

Again Welcome aboard and good luck in your adventure......

:sunny Hi there Dwellex! My name is Matt. Welcome to Scuba Board! I came here looking for help with my diving dream. I’ve met a lot of nice divers and many helpful divers too. I think you will get the information you need from SB. I look forward to reading more of your posts about your diving adventures. If you’d like to chat, please PM me.

-Matt- :chicken:

Hello Alex,

Once you get certified, I suggested you go for www.scubatoys.com. They made an awesome deal on packages especially top notch stuff that includes everything that you need for scuba diving. Just tell them what you wanted and they will give you the package deal.

Good Luck with your dr appts and hopefully PADI certification course!

novafury:
Welcome aboard. you would be wise to wait until you had a few dives in before you buy your biggest investment, if your LDS has a wide selection of rentals to choose from then my advice is try them and ask other divers what they think while going through the class.

I bought mine in one swoop and so far I am pleased with what I bought as it was a package deal, but then again I didn't go on the expensive or cheap end.

Again Welcome aboard and good luck in your adventure......

Thanks Brian!
For now I will shop for a mask,tuba and fins for my diving class. I will probably try them on in a shop and buy in on ebay to save some ca$h. Ebay has awesome deals for scuba stuff!! I almost fell for and new old stock us divers aqualong regulator for 50$! :)

wildmtn:
Hello Alex,

Once you get certified, I suggested you go for www.scubatoys.com. They made an awesome deal on packages especially top notch stuff that includes everything that you need for scuba diving. Just tell them what you wanted and they will give you the package deal.

Good Luck with your dr appts and hopefully PADI certification course!

I will check that site out for sure! That is when I know a bit more about scuba gear,whats good and not good.

Thanks!

Matt the Wonder Boy:
:sunny Hi there Dwellex! My name is Matt. Welcome to Scuba Board! I came here looking for help with my diving dream. I’ve met a lot of nice divers and many helpful divers too. I think you will get the information you need from SB. I look forward to reading more of your posts about your diving adventures. If you’d like to chat, please PM me.

-Matt- :chicken:

Hi Matt!
Yeah! people are super nice here at SB so far!
I will be posting some new posts real soon about scuba gear...It's so hard resisting not to buy any gear on Ebay!! I dont know if I will be able to resist any longer! :)

see ya!
Alex

Hi Alex:

Just wanted to say welcome aboard also. Can't add anymore to the thread on your gear and education, just echo heartily that you need the training and some basic gear. LOTS of good forums and threads on what gear, etc., everyone (including me!) has an opinion.

BTW - haven't been to your lovely city in several years, but my one visit there showed me that it and the people are great!.

Best of Luck and Good Diving!

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom