New to diving - first reg purchase recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m new to diving, recently certified and looking for regulator recommendations. Will mostly be diving in warmer waters while on trips a few times a year. Looking at the aqua lung legend lx supreme (twilight version) or the atomic B2 or M1, unsure on DIN vs yoke. Any insight, experience with either, or tips would be amazing.

If traveling to warmer waters, Yoke is much more available. I'd go with B2 sealed first stage and never have to worry about it. M1 is best choice if you are going towards technical diving or very cold water. I own most Atomic models (Z2, M1, B2, ST1 and Tx) :)

I was in your fins 15 years and 350 dives ago. My diving has mostly been warm water vacation destinations flying from Nor Cal. I got my first gear from Scubatoys.com with a package similar to the one below. I am still diving the Zeagle BC Brigade.
Best Bang for the Buck Package - BC and Reg Packages - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices

I now dive the Atomic Z2x reg, which has been upgraded to the Z3. Exlnt reg. Go with a yoke, unless you will be diving your own tanks or doing a lot of diving in Europe.

I have an M1 set in DIN. I take a yoke adapter on all Caribbean trips and have yet to see a dive op with DIN tanks. My wife has a sealed B2 set and loves it but it is also DIN. I figured if we do more diving in Canada where we live, and have access to DIN tanks, it's nice to have.

Get Yoke

I have a number of used and new regs for sale. Feel free to PM me. Happy to answer any questions you might have.

Go DIN and get a DIN to yoke converter to leave in your reg bag for trips, just in case you get stuck with a yoke tank.

Edit: If you do not plan on buying tanks in the near future or your local shops don't have DIN or convertible valves, it would probably be easier to just go yoke.

Getting a DIN plus a yoke adapter does provide the most flexibility, but it increases the combined weight of your first stage when using the adapter and moves the brass a little closer to the back of your head. Stick with yoke unless you know you will need DIN. (Usually you can convert one or the other later if you choose to)
I don’t know Atomic, but I do know Aqualung, and I dive a Legend LX Supreme. To be sure you know what you are getting with an LX Supreme Twilight:
  • Supreme is the cold water version for dives in water less than 50F. 2nd stage has a couple of slightly different parts that you won’t notice, and a removable lip guard for CW. 1st stage is tuned to slightly lower intermediate pressure, so slightly lower performance. You will be fine with it in warm water.
  • 2nd stage mouthpiece is slightly smaller on Twilight than other Legend models, as that is the women’s color. Mouthpieces are changeable.
  • Marketing statement says 2nd stage is lighter. I am VERY skeptical of that. Only component difference is the color ring and the mouthpiece.
  • Includes a regulator bag, other Legend models do not. That is why price is a little higher than non-twilight.

I’m new to diving, recently certified and looking for regulator recommendations. Will mostly be diving in warmer waters while on trips a few times a year. Looking at the aqua lung legend lx supreme (twilight version) or the atomic B2 or M1, unsure on DIN vs yoke. Any insight, experience with either, or tips would be amazing.
I was in your shoes a few months ago and it took me about 6 months to pull the trigger. Honestly I’m glad Winter came and I got the opportunity to rub elbows with some people in the area. I had only done warm saltwater diving before. But now have done some winter time freshwater diving. I wound up going with Poseidon Xstream DIN. It’s cold water performance is top shelf. If you think you may go HP Steel for tanks DIN will help get the most out of that. DIN to Yoke adapters are pretty cheap for traveling with the Reg. The Black will do any type of air mixture Incase you decide to grow into Tec. Also it’s symmetrical so to come from the left it’s just a flip over. In NoCal you probably have good local options for service. But regardless of your choice, think over your kit. Think long run and what you might be enjoying 5 years from now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom