New to diving - first reg purchase recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally think it’s better because where I am it’s cheaper, more widely available and more divers near me use them. Apparently they are a slightly better design?? (I don’t know)

They’re made in the same factory anyway. They’re the same basically but halcyon IS cheaper.

have you seen how fugly the new second stages are for halcyon? i would pay extra for the scubapro

Is the Apex XTX 200 a better regulator. The XTX Tungsten is going for a lot less compared to the ST1 and B2, I wouldn't say 1 is more popular then the other. Currently Scubapro dominates the market followed by Mares.

Is the Apex XTX 200 a better regulator. The XTX Tungsten is going for a lot less compared to the ST1 and B2, I wouldn't say 1 is more popular then the other. Currently Scubapro dominates the market followed by Mares.

Are you OK with the weight? Tungsten is more.than 2x the density of copper, which is the main composition of brass, and about 4x of titanium.

I think what gear is popular is a regional thing. Here I see a lot of scubapro, aqualung, atomic, a bit less apkes. I hardly see Mare regulators.

I personally think it’s better because where I am it’s cheaper, more widely available and more divers near me use them. Apparently they are a slightly better design?? (I don’t know)

They’re made in the same factory anyway. They’re the same basically but halcyon IS cheaper.

The Halo is a G-250V and the Aura is an R-380. Both are models no longer sold by Scubapro. Halcyon does have some advantages such as lack of the spline nut.

s the Apex XTX 200 a better regulator.
There is almost zero difference between the XTX 50 and the XTX 200 and the XTX Tungsten (which is only a coating)

The XTX 50 is 3g lighter than the tungsten or the 200 ( So effectively the same rate) The tungsten comes with a 5th port as standard, teh XTX 50 and 200 can be ordered with them

Pretty much the XTX 50 is their most popular reg. I have 3 along with 3 AL Legend Supremes had no problems with any of them over the last 5 years of innumerable saltwater dives. Mine get serviced every 18 month - 2 years unless there's a particular reason put them in earlier

I believe the XTX-200 Tungsten is a discontinued model, so it should be less expensive. Apeks second stages are largely the same except for the cosmetics. The first stages differ a bit. Most people prefer the DST w/5th port for hose routing over the FSR, but for single tank I don't think it will matter.

The XTX-200 is supposed to be top of the line but the pricing varies by region. I looked at an Italian dive shop and the XTX-50 was slightly more expensive than the XTX-200. In the US, the XTX-200 is $200 more expensive than the XTX-50.

Back
Top Bottom