New to diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Herman,

Yeah, I guess you can't really assume anything :), but yes, I did have the snorkel on the outside. Solved the problem by moving the backstrap up higher on the crown of my head. I actually went out to the pool today for the first time to test my mask, snorkel, and fins.

I was dumbfounded at how psychologically difficult it was to actually put my face in the water and breath for the first time. I had to force myself after about the 5th aborted attempt. Nearly drowned the first time I got water in the snorkel and had no breath to purge. I was able to stand in the 4ft depth, but due to panic couldn't decide whether to pull the mask off or spit the snorkel out. I was nearly the first person to drown with their head above water. My 14yr old son just didn't want anyone to know he was with me.

Happily, by the end of an hour I was snorkeling fine and once again looking forward to my class this weekend.

BLT

It gets easier. I darn near messed up in Bonaire last year snorkling. We had gotten there late in the afternoon and could not dive that day so we decided to snorkle, we figured that snorkling is better than staying dry, anyway, I had dove to 15 ft or so and was getting in need of a breath and because I have gotten so use to diving with a reg, I almost inhaled through the snorkle. Thank goodness I realized what I was about to do and stopped. After a while these "unnatural" acts you are trying to master will become very natural and comfortable. It does take a while so give it time. Panic is by far your biggest enemy, it probably kills more divers than anything else, so make a point to learn to control it. Most diving problems are small and manageable if you remain in control, lose control and they become big problems.

You should keep your snorkel handy. I use mine nearly every time I dive. If it's a drift dive, when I get to the surface, I switch to my snorkel, not to save air, it's just easier to breath through the pipe than the regulator. If I have a long surface swim, the snorkel is the thing to use out and back. My 2 cents worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom