New to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutbill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am new to diving and will be tanking my classes in the next few weeks for my c-card. I found some local equipment on C-list and I was wondering if anyone can help me decide if, a) the price is okay for use, b) the equipment is good for a causal rec diver- living in Florida I hope to get out 1 or 2 times a month and c) some things to look at when inspecting the equipment.

Thank you all

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/spo/2835204924.html

Sent from my Vivarium using Tapatalk

The equipment listed seems like over kill for a causal diver but I do not know what you consider causal. Where are you thinking about diving and how deep?

By casual I was referring to number of dives, sorry very new to diving. Probably diving around 60 feet or less for a while will be mostly off the east coast of Florida, but am doing a week in Bonaire this summer

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I feel kinda lost looking at BC's, I need to get out to so other LDS's the few I've been seem to carry more Higher end items.

I like the Ranger for a BCD but that is too pricey for a used item. I have dove a Ranger for over 10 years. It's as good as new, so it will last a long time.

I prefer to have a SPG rather than an air integrated comp. But maybe because they are a lot more $$ than a wrist puck. I use a suunto zoop, it gets the job done with everything I'm gonna need.

I would definitely go to your LDS because they can offer you a package deal, repair help, and maintenance. I do however purchase items on here and eBay and other online shops as deals present themselves. Keep in mind, you are going to have to have all the used gear services by the LDS anyway.

You are in no hurry to get all your own stuff. Take your time and shop around.

As for Bonaire, let me offer some advice. I went last summer and am going again this summer. I made lots of notes on equip changes I wanted to make. The biggest: New fins. I have dove full foot Mares Quattro fins for a long time now. You need booties and strap on fins in Bonaire to shore dive. I ordered some flip fins and will try those out this year.

Txreefer thanks I will definitely be making my list before, during and after Bonaire! I may trying to get the ranger and other equipment if they are willing to negotiate on the price.

That high for a used BCD and that version of the computer you can buy new for that cost and have a 2 year warranty which you may need.

That high for a used BCD and that version of the computer you can buy new for that cost and have a 2 year warranty which you may need.

WOW! I actually find myself agreeing with NCadiver on these points.

Since you are in Fl., which has a dive shop behind almost every palm tree, I would look for an LDS with a reputation for fair dealing and buy from them. Few divers can utilize the services of a QUALITY dive shop as much as a newbie.

I found some local equipment on C-list and I was wondering if anyone can help me decide if, a) the price is okay for use, b) the equipment is good for a causal rec diver- living in Florida I hope to get out 1 or 2 times a month and c) some things to look at when inspecting the equipment.
I will offer thoughts primarily on a) and b).

General comment: the asking prices are MUCH higher than you should pay. I would not touch this gear at either the asking price or the minimum. I appreciate the fact that the seller is probably trying to recoup their investment. But, it is used gear, the market simply doesn't support those prices. If the seller put the gear on eBay at those prices, it would sit there with no bids.

Aeris ATMOS ai Scuba Dive Computer Console W/ Compass, Nitrox Ready - Excellent Condition $500 Zeagle Carrying case Included Nice computer, not unreasonable choice for a recreational diver, although I would personally recommend against a console computer. I wouldn't pay more than $200

Zeagle Ranger BC W/Zeagle Octo+ - (Large or XL) Excellent Condition $500 Ranger is a great BCD. I have one, it was my first equipment purchase 11 years ago, it is very comfortable, very durable, and I highly recommend the Zeagle brand. My Ranger now sits unused in a closet. I would not pay more than $200 for a used Ranger under any condition.

But, I would not recommend a Ranger for single tank, recreational diving in any event. More lift than needed, the unit is rather positively bouyant, and adds to the diver weight requirements. In the Zeagle line, for warm water recreational diving (and some travel diving) I would suggest the Zeagle Express Tech - a fantastic, simple, versatile BCD.

Zeagle DS-IV Regulator - Excellent Condition - See photo below - $250 Good regulator. Breathes well, durable. I probably wouldn't buy one myself - I prefer a DS-V. And, I wouldn't pay more than $100 for this unit
TXreefer:
New fins. I have dove full foot Mares Quattro fins for a long time now. You need booties and strap on fins in Bonaire to shore dive.
YES! Excellent advice. Bonaire is (for me) some of the best diving on the planet. What makes it so nice is the shore diving. DEFINITELY plan to wear good, durable booties, with a reasonably substabntial sole.
TXreefer:
I ordered some flip fins and will try those out this year.
Would not use them in Bonaire, at least not as flip fins, for entry and exit.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom