New to group and to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First thanks for letting me join. Looking forward to learning new things, meeting new people. Have always liked the idea of diving and recently took the plunge and signed up for open water. I want to go as far as I can my goal now is to make it to a cave diving certification. Why you may ask? Well after I started this journey several divers said they won't do cave diving because it's dangerous. That's all it took for me. I know it's going to be awhile before I'm ready to even attempt it but it's my goal. I have enjoyed this show on YouTube called dive talk. Also In Podcast. They cover all aspects of diving it seems.
Any other places to gather knowledge is appreciated. Again thanks for letting me hang and learn

Welcome to SB. I used to belong to a ton of other dive forums and quit every one but this one. Just way too little activity. Even after 16 years on SB I find there is usually at least one post of interest here each day, sometimes more than one.

Welcome to the herd! Safe diving and hope our travels will cross sometime.

Welcome to ScubaBoard. If you enjoy challenging yourself with the more demanding aspects of a hobby, yeah, from what I'm told cave diving could do that, but there are other means, also.

If you anticipate going the technical diving route (and cave diving falls under that), and you haven't bought much gear yet, I suggest you do some checking into what gear choices technical divers tend to make.

I'm a recreational diver, not a technical diver, so I can't give you many pointers. I can suggest this:

1.) You may well want a backplate/wing setup rather than a mainstream 'jacket style' BCD.

2.) You may wish to look into a 'long hose' configuration, which is a different way of handling regulator setup in case you need to donate to a buddy.

3.) If you think you might pursue GUE Fundamentals training (which isn't necessary, but some people seek it out to elevate their dive skills), take a look at their gear requirements to save yourself buying again later. For example, I have a BP/W setup, which should be fine, but my harness is a deluxe hardness, not a single piece webbing, and IIRC from another thread, that could be a issue.

4.) I doubt you'll be diving split fins.

There are some threads in the Accidents and Incidents section dealing with cave fatalities. Please understand your friends regard it as dangerous and best avoided by some people, because it is. With proper training, skill development, gear choice and attitude, you can do a lot to mitigate the dangers.

Take a look at this article on Listverse.com,10 Final Messages From People Facing Certain Death, and this piece I copied and pasted from that page:

"The cave systems of North Central Florida have claimed hundreds of lives from inexperienced cave divers. Among those to die there was Bill Hurst, a diving instructor. He failed to return from a dive in 1976, and a recovery team later found his body. On his slate was a simple message: “I got lost. Tell my wife and kids I love them very much. ”"

Any other places to gather knowledge is appreciated. Again thanks for letting me hang and learn
Welcome to the forums, good to see someone else from East Tennessee! Let me know if you need a dive buddy for the quarries around here -- they're not glamorous diving, but they make for good places to dial in your buoyancy control, practice other skills, and generally get comfortable in the water (and thereby reduce your air consumption rate). I prefer warmer water, so it will be June or so before the quarries are warm enough for me.

Edit: I'm not into cave diving (caverns & caves bore me, I'm more into reef critters), but I know a some guys in Knoxville who are cave divers/instructors.

Welcome to SB! As I suppose you know, east TN is within a long weekend's driving distance of cave country Florida. You're in a great place to start your journey to diving some of the most sought after caves in the world. And the Dive Talk guys put on a good show, for sure.

Welcome to the forums, good to see someone else from East Tennessee! Let me know if you need a dive buddy for the quarries around here -- they're not glamorous diving, but they make for good places to dial in your buoyancy control, practice other skills, and generally get comfortable in the water (and thereby reduce your air consumption rate). I prefer warmer water, so it will be June or so before the quarries are warm enough for me.

Edit: I'm not into cave diving (caverns & caves bore me, I'm more into reef critters), but I know a some guys in Knoxville who are cave divers/instructors.
That would be great I do need a dive buddy for sure and would like to learn all I can. I know proper buoyancy is key to good diving and I need the practice also would love to talk with other divers as well. Cave diving is on my bucket list but I need to do alot of rec diving first. Be comfortable with that aspect then do aow, and rescue

I don't have enough posts to direct message you yet. If you could message me I would appreciate it. So we could plan a dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom