New to Scuba diving, need some advice on Aqualung equipment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Bubbletrubble, it is around a 50% discount if not alittle more. I was thinking about getting the legend as my reg but it may sound wierd but because I am so new I am alittle wary about getting top of the line equipment with adavanced features that I quite honestly don't understand that well. Same goes for a dive computer, I dont want to get one that is too advanced or overkill for me. All I really plan is local lake/quarry diving with a couple tropical trips planned in the next year or two.
Hmmm. Sounds like you're getting something similar to a "keyman" or at-cost discount. Lucky you. Take advantage of it. Make sure you fill out all of your warranty cards (or use the online registration system) when you take possession of the equipment.

I have an Aqualung Legend setup and a couple of Apeks regs. They are all excellent regs. All of the first stages are environmentally sealed -- good for cold water diving or very silty water conditions. I like having the breathing adjustment knob on the second stage. That feature does cost a little more, but considering your discount I see no reason not to get it. I do my own reg servicing and, once you open up those particular regs, they look very similar inside. When tuned properly, I can't detect any breathing performance differences. I stand by my recommendation of either the Apeks Legend (LX version has the breathing adjustment knob) or the Apeks XTX50 (which also has the breathing adjustment knob). It probably doesn't make sense to spend the extra for the Apeks XTX200, since the XTX50 second stage is identical and the first stage difference doesn't really affect performance. If you ever end up reselling the reg, you might be able to squeeze a few bucks more out of the buyer with the XTX200 vs. XTX50. :idk:

If your discount extends to Suunto dive computers, the Zoop is a good choice. The Suunto Vyper is practically the same dive computer with a "gauge" mode. Gauge mode can be a really useful feature if you choose to do some tech diving or simply want to use a bottom timer in the future. Be sure to use your discount to get the Suunto USB PC download cable. That sucker usually runs $100 at full price.

With regard to BCDs, I think --tom-- gave some pretty good advice about the Apeks BP/W systems. Some people really like them. I'd recommend getting either the Seaquest Balance (which is a rear-inflate style BCD) or an Apeks BP/W setup. Aqualung is really pushing the i3 lever mechanism on their current BCD line. Some people really like it. I recommend doing an in-water demo of a BCD with the i3 feature before purchasing one with i3. In real-life practical usage, it probably works just fine. The only issue I see down the road is long-term servicing. The i3 mechanism is based on a push-pull-rod mechanism. Not sure how robust that system is and how expensive it might be to fix it if it ever fails.

You should get whatever fins you find work best for you. I'm not very picky. Some people rave about the Aqualung Slingshot fins. If you can get a serious discount on them, why not give 'em a shot?

With respect to a scuba mask, fit is everything. Get a mask that fits. Period. I'm sure that Aqualung has a mask in its line that fits your face. You really need to try the masks on in-person at a local store, preferably whatever shop is handling delivery of your Aqualung gear.

Good luck and enjoy the gear...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom