new to sidemount and I need ideas and advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesnt walking around with tanks on put the same weight on your knees and back?

Only walked in mine once. I agree about the pull down vs. Back. My tanks press into my sides and hurt, but I think clipping the necks off would help...I only jumped out with tanks on because the beautiful girl I was diving with was in backmount and I thought she was about to slip... It wasn't premeditated or I would have clipped them off to avoid stretching the bungee.

I agree on fins. I've had dm's try to put mine on for me and get slightly...confused? When I waved them off and did it myself.

The point is the OP could do his first giant stride close to the water and get the feel of it. Kinda like in the mix classes where you do the depth in increments. And, it's not far to the stern, especially if you are located towards the back of the benches anyway.

Like I said, though, I think it would be more of a hassle to haul the cylinders down to the swim platform than to giant stride 6'. I have my sidemount students who express an interest in boat diving giant stride off a 4' platform at a local spring. The OP doesn't have to wait for the trip to try this.

JahJah, it does put strain on the knees and back (a little different oon the back, though, because oof the different location of the weight). But sometimes you have to choose the lesser of the evils.

Someone recommended I gear up with my left tank clipped in, and all hooked up except the bungee, and then have the second tank handed down on a rope. That keeps the initial weight equal to just the single. Don't know how well that hand-down would work in heavier seas.

Giant striding is no problem. Ring bungees are also not necessary. I have bolt snaps with static cord set up on all of my cylinders as a fail safe should my bungee loop fail and it works great for giant striding, too. Just put the loop around the cylinder neck.

tankclips001.jpg

I did a few giant strides off the M/V Spree in October with LP108s and 2 AL40s. The drop was about 6' to the water. I also did a couple of drops in the same configuration and my SS scooter. Only difference was I dropped in back first to give more protection to the scooter.
Rob this photo never gets old!
I have used these quite often in the north walking my rig out.
Most of the time my use depends on the place I am entering.
Thanks again,
CamG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom