New to Spearfishing-Going on trip 9/25-my 1st time using a gun and hunting!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
Excellent stalking technique.
thanks
I really love to do that inside the many different wreak(plural ) we have here(crusher houses and concrete or metal tubes). Fish, especially the big ones, lurk inside the "wreak". In order to get a good picture you have to move really slow and basically use only your lungs to move you around.
It never ceases to amaze me how much your lungs can control your bouyance!!! It is so cool.

I fixed it but I was trying to describe the plural of a word. I didn't mean a wreak. I meant several different ones.
Please don't highjack a thread for a grammar lesson. Please tell me in Private! I would really appreciate it.
Thank you
Bridget

Please, please, the word is "wreck".

One "wreaks" havoc upon a foe.

Welcome to the spearo world - you'll find it quite addicting! :D

Would suggest you practice at home pulling back the bands on whatever gun you are planning to use - exercising your muscles, so you can do it repeatedly under water and in a wetsuit. Don't load; however, due to safety issues, just pull the bands as far back as needed to load gun...can do without the spear in the gun.

I use a Spearfishing Specialties 48" gun. Most advice suggests getting as large a gun as can handle, but I've found the 48" just about right for most conditions - the only situation where you'll want a shorter one would be for in-close reef shots and getting under ledges (longer ones just don't fit into small spaces nearly as well as short guns). I use two 26" bands on them, which are standard for longer guns - but I can pull them back quite easily. 5/8" rubber diameter on the bands - FYI - narrower bands can be smaller length and similiar in difficulty in pulling back than a 5/8" band.

Read up on spearboard.com - for recommendations and stalking techniques.

Oh, and on wrecks, you'll also often find fish like the one in my avatar...Amberjacks...pretty stupid fish - shooting them's the easy part as they'll come right up to you. They are strong and fast though - and you'll either want (1) experience under your belt or (2) someone to help you land them, as they'll swim in circles if you shoot them on a line shaft, with the risk of wrapping you if you don't follow them with the front of your body as they swim. The key to getting them is to control their head/gills as soon as possible, by getting your hand in their gills and/or driving them to the bottom. They call them "reef donkeys" for good reason...

I started out with MUCH smaller fish though! It's best to get the mechanics of spearing familiar before targeting larger fish - but DO expect to see those fellas on your wreck, as that's often one of their favorite places.

TropicalDiver:
Oh, and on wrecks, you'll also often find fish like the one in my avatar...Amberjacks...pretty stupid fish - shooting them's the easy part as they'll come right up to you. They are strong and fast though - and you'll either want (1) experience under your belt or (2) someone to help you land them, as they'll swim in circles if you shoot them on a line shaft, with the risk of wrapping you if you don't follow them with the front of your body as they swim. The key to getting them is to control their head/gills as soon as possible, by getting your hand in their gills and/or driving them to the bottom. They call them "reef donkeys" for good reason...

I started out with MUCH smaller fish though! It's best to get the mechanics of spearing familiar before targeting larger fish - but DO expect to see those fellas on your wreck, as that's often one of their favorite places.
Thanks so much
I am getting so excited and the hurricane turned so our trip is proably still on!!!
Any one dived the EMpire Mica on a spearhunting trip?

One thing I've not seen mentioned.. try to hit the head. The gills bleed (green, its so purdy) and meat shots just mess up the good eatin part unless your into fish head stew. Grouper are about as dumb as they get, as are hog fish. They just turn sideways and wait for you to shoot them in the head! IF you stone a fish, you'll know it... just the way they studdenly stop and twich like an epileptic for a bit. Grouper turn bleach white when ya stone em.

Moving targets are fun to. I've found that Spanish Makeral and Jacks prove to be the best midwater moving targets that wont take you all around the Gulf.

Also, don't forget about your buddy :wink:

Colin,

You've been shooting Reds. Blacks are very smart (for a fish) and difficult to bag. Just behind the eye is usually a good target point (depending on species).

The Empire Mica is an oil tanker that was sunk by a U-boat in 1942 I think. It's a great wreck that is pretty big. You can make a couple of dives and not see it all. There is always a huge school of resident barracuda on the wreck. They come in all sizes from 18" to over 6' long scarred up dinosaur fish. Watch out for them, they'll steal your fish if they can. Pretty common to see sharks on the wreck as well. Last time I dove it we saw a 1000lb+ shark near the bottom and several smaller sharks on top. Caught 6-7 approx. 8' sharks while on surface interval. Have fun when you go.

As for guns, everyone I know that has bought a gun under 48" has regretted it immediately after using it and wished for a larger gun. Don't think you need a small gun to start with. Go ahead and get something you will keep. If you go to spearboard.com and ask that same ? you'll get a ton of replies saying same.

Good luck!

As for gun lenth,try different lengths in a shop.If you are under 5'6 a 54" or 60" gun will be very difficult to load.Remember that less than 10% of the spearfishermen shoot over 90% of the fish.Find these people and you will get a free lesson every time you talk to them.Most are more than happy to share tips.A lot of really good shooters are on spearboard and the owner started here asking the same questions some years ago.Ck out my profile or Keys trip photos for my credentials:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom