New to the Scuba Community

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for your recommendations. You could not have been more correct about drinking plenty of water. I did the first 3 dives on day one and last on day 2. Drinking plent of water is absolutley necessary.

Thanks Again!

Welcome to SB!

Were the first few dives what you expected? Do you love the sport? Any interesting challenges?

Sea ya!

I had a great instructor who did a great job making sure we were well prepared. Haigh Quarry is freshwater lake in Illinois and contained a number of large bluegill, bass, and catfish. These fish were not shy to say the least. We called them our little audience. There must have been hundreds of fish. I'd really like to refine my skill-set with regard to compass navigation. It was somewhat difficult to stay neutrally bouyant, swim straight, and focus on the compass. I love the sport!!!!

Is the ocean diving experience much more difficult than diving in a lake environment? I have to imagine that the currents and the waves create a much more challenging experience.
Jack.

Is the ocean diving experience much more difficult than diving in a lake environment? I have to imagine that the currents and the waves create a much more challenging experience.

Not more difficult, you'll just need to learn a few more simple skills and have a buddy that's comfortable with your first few locations. Currents can be pretty predictable and easy to figure out by learning to read a tide book and planning the dive to let the current work with you. The payoff is the remarkable difference between salt water and fresh water diving.

Cheers!
:wavey:

Back
Top Bottom