New to the Site and to Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reap!t

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys , my name is Lee , i'm from Edmonton , AB . Currently on holidays in Grand Cayman , just did my Padi OW cert and loved it . Looking at doing my advanced within the next week or so while i'm still on holidays ! Looking forward to getting some good information and joining in the quest for adventure with ya'll .

Cheers !

Welcome reap!t ! I just got into diving myself and it is amazing! Unfortunately my season up here has ended (too cold!) so unless I take a nice tropical vacation I'll be beached until May. I plan on doing my AOW after I get a few more dives under my belt next season.

And I'm sure you'll hear this elsewhere, but just remember that having your Advanced Cert. doesn't make you "advanced," always take it easy at first and build up your skills before tackling the more challenging stuff :D

Welcome reap!t,

Enjoy the diving!

FYI, there is a Canadian Divers SB group at ScubaBoard - Canadian Divers or navigate via: ScubaBoard > Social Groups > Regional > Canadian Divers

I'm not saying do or don't do the AOW, you can find plenty of threads addressing that question by searching, but I will suggest you ask yourself why you want to do AOW. If it's because you want to go deeper then from a safety issue many will warn against that, and for good reason. From another point of view(literally), not based on in my VERY limited experience but from talking with experienced divers, the majority of the best viewing is not at deeper depths (less light penetration means less color and fewer things growing, but there will be occasions where the AOW cert and the ability to go a bit deeper will or will not allow you to dive certain sites.

Have fun, and above all, be safe.

Hey guys figured i'd give a little update , i'm diving every single day i'm here , so far i've logged in 27 dives . Man am I hooked lol , i've ordered a whole setup of gear that will pretty much meet me at home when I get there , so I can prepare for my next trip hehe .

Anywho as for the AOW , i'm pretty much done it , did the deep , and the nav and really enjoyed both . Definitely would like to do the specialty of the nav though to get the hang of it more , the deep was a bit exciting since the instructor kicked my mask off my face so I had to chill out till she brought it back ( she is a great instructor mind you , I just got a little close ). The PPB is also something I think is more time in the water spent than actually doing it as a specialty , but according to the MD and the instructor my bouyancy and trim are really good for where I am at with my diving . I did pick wreck as one of my elective dives , although there are no decent wrecks here really to get to enjoy it , learning a bit about how to maneuver and not get lost in one was quality information I'm glad I didn't pass up . Tomorrow night is my night dive which will allow me to finish the whole AOW up , I'm very glad I did it . Gave me a look at the different aspects of diving and allowed me to decide which direction I think my future diving endeavors I would enjoy the most .

I appreciate everyones advice and input here , I suppose I am "diving" into this headfirst so to speak . Pardon the pun . But I am finding myself very comfortable underwater , I have already run into some funny situations , like the mask deal the other day . But since the people who did my OW really pounded some of those skills I feel extremely confident that I can handle the issues as they come up .

Cheers , reap .

PS I also did my Nitrox C-card :wink:

Greetings reap!t and welcome to the diving obsession as you are experiencing in the warm waters. Just do not become spoiled as the local waters up north are just as inviting. I have had the pleasure of diving with many of your countrymen and they are awesome. I dive primarily cold water but they dive very cold water and come to my local dive destinations to warm up. I to did the AOW shortly after OW, and I have found that the buoyancy issue will improve with every dive and PPB is really a great quest that continues through out your diving career.
Just remember to always dive with in your training and skill level, do not rush experience but let it build over time. It sounds as though you have a good base of dive experience already with the mask loss at depth, etc. these are good confidence builders. But one can not allow over-confidence to push us past our safe diving level.
I remind myself very often better divers than myself have perished over very small miscalculations. One of the greatest bits of advice I have ever heard was that in a crisis situation we will only rise to our lowest level of training. Thus the personal philosophy train hard to be able to dive hard and always plan for the unexpected.
Be sure when you get your gear back home hook up with a local dive club or LDS that is active in their local scene. There are some incredible wrecks in the Great Lakes, very awesome to dive! Have fun and dive like you are already doing!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Paraphrasing CamG a bit, good on you!

Hopefully you will dive all year round, up in Alberta as well as when on vacation.

Did you buy cold water regs?

You will find that trim and buoyancy in warm and cold water two different animals. Take it easy on your first dives in 7mm top+bottom+hood+gloves and have fun!

Thanks for your input guys , its nice to know that there's a great community of people willing to help out so readily .

First off to mpetryk , I believe the reg I purchased should handle the climate I hope lol , its the Oceanic Delta 4 FDX10 Diaphragm Regulator with Environmental seal . After reading some reviews it seems to be a solid cold water reg . I think once I get home i'm gonna start doing some dry suit training and see how that goes so I can keep doing this year round . Not to worry about me taking it easy though , I'm not a very brave soul when my life is possibly at risk , and to be honest with what I do for work and stuff safety is normally my #1 priority . I also purchased a pony bottle because having the reassurance of knowing if I can't reach my buddy in time , to have a redundancy in place is gold imho .

To CamG , thanks for your kind words man , right now its hard to contain my excitement for a new passion . I will do my best to not let that cloud my judgement with diving outside of my abilities , athough I do think that to continue to grow and gain skill one should push themselves , obviously in small increments . I feel very fortunate to have some great instructors here who are spending to time to make sure that I am understanding all the material and working hard to ensure a level of comfort with all the skills that are set in front me . . The thought of having a loss of oxygen at depth is what is scaring me the most right now , which most of the people I dive with are trying to cure out of me . Its keeping me out of 80 ft + right now cause I just don't feel comfortable with it , plus there is so much great stuff to see here without really going below that . Although when we are out on the boat in the daytime its stopping me from doing some dives which really sucks , but i'm just not that eager to risk it right now . Thats a long way to go without air , I suppose with expansion it shouldn't matter , but it still scares the crap outta me lol.

Again thanks all for your great input , and again i'll give a little update about my experience so far . First of all I hate weight belts and jacket style BCD's , I dove a integrated back inflate style BCD earlier today . That is by far a much better way to go , I always wondered why my instructors seem to have killer trim control compared to me . Well I must say that it is so much easier , when your not constantly compensating for your body trying to upright itself all the time (glad thats what I bought lol) . :dork2: The last dive I had to complete for my AOW was the night dive which I did tonight , I must say I wasn't all that impressed . Not the fault of anyone else but me , honestly i'm a bit blind to begin with , but I couldn't really see anything . We were using lights and all , but I just couldn't seem to maintain a good field of view to actually get some really good shots . I suppose I have been a bit spoiled since here in the daytime is really quite active , but I thought there would be more action than that . I think if I had like car headlights strapped to my body I could enjoy it more , but i'd feel bad stunning the whole ocean as I swam by lol . Anyway yeah , hopefully my next experience will be a better one lol .

PS I love nitrox , honestly I came out of the water feeling better than when I went in . Using air always made me feel a bit tired and i've been doing some serious napping between dives and stuff lol . But that nitrox , I was all pumped and ready to jump back in right away ( I didn't mind you lol) . Just thought i'd share that for anyone who might be on the fence about trying it . I was only diving the 32 , i'm interested in trying the 36 might give it a go tomorrow . :cool2:

Cheers , reap .

Hi reap!t,

I don't want to come across as some wizen, grizzled old salt - I am neither. Please feel free to consider my posts in light of my limited diving experience.

I just came across an article about cold water inland (the kind you are likely to do in Alberta) diving in DAN's magazine "Alert Diver." I posted my synopsis of this article at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...g-diving/313632-cold-water-vs-warm-water.html in case you are interested.

Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom